• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying advice please :)

runhardlivelong

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,

My four month old mini lop Lola is going in to the vets tomorrow to be spayed! I have been reading some bits and bobs and going to keep her eating till the op and taking some of her favourite food for after.

Is there anything I should be doing after or asking the vet about?

She has to jump over a small height to get out of her cage to her room and free range area, will she be able to do that? And what about getting in her litter tray? And hay?

Just want to do the right thing by her!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kate and Lola!

Hi there!

I will give you a little advice based on what I went through when Jessie was spayed last year.

Firstly I would ensure that she is on painkillers (usually Metacam) when she comes home, she maybe also need some gut stimulant. She shouldnt really be hopping about too much as it could dislodge stitches, perhaps you could make a ramp for her temporarily so she doesnt have to jump out of her cage.

She should be ok getting in and out her tray if its just a small hop. She will need loads of hay, she might not want to eat at first so lots of treats is a good idea, keep waving them in front of her so hopefully she gets tempted. Dandelion leaves did the trick for my bun ;) Same goes with the hay, I used to plonk it right in front of her and when she started eating again I think she did it just because she wanted it out the way :roll:

You also need to keep a very close eye on toilet habits, she must start going really quickly otherwise this could lead to complications. Keep checking and call the vet if you are concerned.

Most of all, lots of love and affection.. Hope that helps xxx

How's Lola doing is she ok  when she comes home also try keep her warm for a few days and don't let her run about and if possible have a nice soft towel or fleece for her to sleep on and try if you have one to put hay in a hay rack so it don't stick in her tummy hope it's all gone ok 

Back