• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Disaster! Fenugreek crunchies have changed! :o( U/D reply!

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
I got 3 bags from the hay experts last week, and just opened the first... I knew straight away they were different cos they smelled different... 3 of the buns still eat them but Daisy doesn't like them! :shock: :( I hope it was just a duff batch and they haven't changed the recipe :(

Last edited:
What an outrage! :shock: I have a good stock here, but had better order up some of the new so that they can be introduced gradually.

Ooh shall go check my local farm shop as they don't get new stock all that often being small so may have old crunches in, if so I need to stock up so I can mix them

I had a couple of bags arrive just over a week ago and I haven't noticed anything different. Buns still love them!

I hope not the bunnies have come straight into their home from free ranging ever since i got them some fenugreek crunchies I wonder why so many bunnies love them

Ruthie xxx

Mine have never had these either. They do however have Wilkinson's crunchy sticks (sugar free) and adore them - plus they're only about £1 or £2 a packet :)

Mine love most treats - in fact I've only found one that Bumble didn't like - this was before we got Bee. But they won't come back from free ranging for anything but fenugreek crunchies

Ruthie xxx

Mine don't get them either. Most of mine will come in for their dinner or a handful of hay :love:

All mine love crunchies. I use them to help me decide if a bun needs the vet. George in particular keeps lying down in a DBF and doesn't move when I talk to him. It really scares me as I think he has died:cry: If I put a crunchie down - he moves. The day he doesn't I will know he is poorly - or worst.

When one of my buns is off their food and they won't even touch a crunchie it is time for an urgent vet visit. I find with a couple of them occasionally they do go a day without eating as much as usual but the next day are fine but they will always find room for a crunchie. It is a good indicator for me if it's a worrying lack of appetite or just one of their odd 'off' days, which are often related to their moult.

This is exactly the same for me! I do exactly this :wave: I am worried now because the new ones smell so different and Daisy won't touch them :(

All mine love crunchies. I use them to help me decide if a bun needs the vet. George in particular keeps lying down in a DBF and doesn't move when I talk to him. It really scares me as I think he has died:cry: If I put a crunchie down - he moves. The day he doesn't I will know he is poorly - or worst.

When one of my buns is off their food and they won't even touch a crunchie it is time for an urgent vet visit. I find with a couple of them occasionally they do go a day without eating as much as usual but the next day are fine but they will always find room for a crunchie. It is a good indicator for me if it's a worrying lack of appetite or just one of their odd 'off' days, which are often related to their moult.

I've just received a reply from Rosewood, as follows...

Dear Jo,
Thank you for letting us know of your concerns regarding your recent purchase of Fenugreek crunchies. I have checked our stock. We have actually sold all the batch in question (we have new stock approximately every 1-2 months). The oldest batch I can find in our warehouse is dated BBE 09/13 so would have been produced anything from 8-12 weeks after your ones you have.
I have opened and checked some bags in this batch and they look and smell as they should (a savoury smell with a very slight hint of curry). *
We’ve not received any other complaints, but I accept other people may have also had a similar reaction but simply chose not to contact us.
We have sold the product for around 6 years and I know the producer has not changed the recipe (it is simply corn, ground and mixed with fenugreek then extruded and baked). I did come across a batch a few years ago with a slightly more ‘oily’ smell which you can also get from vegetable oils. I believe that this may be a problem in the processing more than anything else.
I can also appreciate that a rabbit used to the usual smell of these crunchies may turn their nose up at this more oily odour that masks the aroma of the fenugreek.
I cannot think how this might led to upset tummies, but appreciate as you say that the digestive system of a rabbit is delicate and so cannot rule this out. I apologise if the crunchies did upset your rabbits and I do hope they are now back to their usual selves?
I have contacted the producer to trace the batch number just in case they can identify anything in the production which could have led to this ‘taint’ to the odour (and presumably the taste). I’ve also checked and the Hay Experts last ordered the Crunchies in November (but it was a very big order, 25% of a normal production). *So it’s most likely that the rest of this batch will have been cleared by most retailers. However I am contacting the hay experts today to check if they have any remaining stock.
If you could let me know your address I’d like to send you 6 new packs to confirm the current batches are A1.

YAY!! Free crunchies!! :D

Back