• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Happy Hutch Comp. Ramps

whitehood

Warren Veteran
I am having difficulties figuring out how to attach the ramp to the bottom of the hutch. The instructions do not even mention the ramp [ instructions for the hutch and run combo].

If anyone has the same product as me, how did you manage to place the ramp where it's meant to be?

Also.. When I got replies telling me the hutch walls were incorrectly rotated. 2 months after that [so recently] I've un screwed everything and put it together the right way.
I also screwed the divider in place, where the rabbits can retreat. Couldn't do that before as the fitting wasn't compatible with the wonky walls. :lol:

So yea.. Help ! :wave: Ty

Can you show us a photo of the bit you're having difficulty with? I have vague recollections that the ramp has a 'bar' across the top? I'm sure I just put the ramp (bar at the top) up through the hole and twisted it round until it was flat. That may even have been it, it just resting there on its own, or I might have put a couple of screws through the bar at the top so that they screw into the floor at a bit of an angle. I don't recall fixing it to the bottom at all. I can't quite remember though, but does that make sense?

Hi Whitehood,

I'm going to attach mine with hinges, and attach it to the wood on the side of the run underneath the hole. I want mine to 'hang' under the hutch rather than resting on the hutch floor through the hole, so that I can still close off the hole in the floor with the circular piece that comes with the hutch. I haven't actually done it yet though, so can't guarantee that my idea will work :oops::lol:.

Good luck!

Can you show us a photo of the bit you're having difficulty with? I have vague recollections that the ramp has a 'bar' across the top? I'm sure

I just put the ramp (bar at the top) up through the hole and twisted it round until it was flat.

That may even have been it, it just resting there on its own, or I might have put a couple of screws through the bar at the top so that they screw into the floor at a bit of an angle. I don't recall fixing it to the bottom at all. I can't quite remember though, but does that make sense?

By bar at the top, do you mean the little timber sticks they have along the run all the way downwards, vertically? [The grip ones, for the hocks]

If the bar is wooden, how did you twist it ? It's stuck on the acual ramp with screws :lol: Superwoman..:shock:

I'll take pics when the sun comes out again, I'm currently under my blanket. :cry:

Hi Whitehood,

I'm going to attach mine with hinges, and attach it to the wood on the side of the run underneath the hole. I want mine to 'hang' under the hutch rather than resting on the hutch floor through the hole, so that I can still close off the hole in the floor with the circular piece that comes with the hutch. I haven't actually done it yet though, so can't guarantee that my idea will work :oops::lol:.

Good luck!

:lol: I'll let you know when I do it. :D My future way may be easier. :( :? :lol:

By bar at the top, do you mean the little timber sticks they have along the run all the way downwards, vertically? [The grip ones, for the hocks]
:

No, that's not what I mean, which is why it's difficult without photos :lol: I mean that at the top of the ramp, the bit where it sits inside the hole in the hutch, there is a bar which runs across the top which is used to tuck the ramp into the hutch. So if you look directly at the ramp it is shaped like a T with a bar across the top of the ramp so the whole thing forms the shape of a T.

If the bar is wooden, how did you twist it ? It's stuck on the acual ramp with screws :lol:

I don't mean twist the bar, I mean turn the whole piece of wood. So you can't put it straight up through the hole in the right place (if it still has a bar across the top like mine did) because the bar is wider than the hole...so you have to turn it sideways to get it through the hole, and then turn the whole ramp round until it rests the right way over the hole. Of course, if your ramp doesn't have the bar across the top, then this whole post is nonsense anyway :lol:

These things are so hard to describe without photos/videos aren't they :lol: Sun has just come back out again here, so hopefully it will be warm enough for you to go and get a photo soon :D

No, that's not what I mean, which is why it's difficult without photos :lol: I mean that at the top of the ramp, the bit where it sits inside the hole in the hutch, there is a bar which runs across the top which is used to tuck the ramp into the hutch. So if you look directly at the ramp it is shaped like a T with a bar across the top of the ramp so the whole thing forms the shape of a T.

I don't mean twist the bar, I mean turn the whole piece of wood. So you can't put it straight up through the hole in the right place (if it still has a bar across the top like mine did) because the bar is wider than the hole...so you have to turn it sideways to get it through the hole, and then turn the whole ramp round until it rests the right way over the hole. Of course, if your ramp doesn't have the bar across the top, then this whole post is nonsense anyway :lol:

These things are so hard to describe without photos/videos aren't they :lol: Sun has just come back out again here, so hopefully it will be warm enough for you to go and get a photo soon :D

Oh I get it !
However our ramp is just a rectangle without the extra peice of longer wider wood attached at the top :(
Dayme.. That would've been much easier.
I think I'll attach it using a hinge.
I'm going to email the HHC to see if they can tell me how to do it without the hinge.

Thanks for your help

This makes sense, but the one I got (and maybe Whitehood's too) doesn't have a T shaped bar at the top. It's just a ramp, which is the same width as the hole in the floor of the hutch. It would make it a whole lot easier if it had the bar though! Wonder why he stopped making them like that :?

This makes sense, but the one I got (and maybe Whitehood's too) doesn't have a T shaped bar at the top. It's just a ramp, which is the same width as the hole in the floor of the hutch. It would make it a whole lot easier if it had the bar though! Wonder why he stopped making them like that :?

Maybe it's because the position of the ramp would be permanent then. It could not be closed or moved out of its current position. With hinges you can adjust the steepness, if it's steep you can place a brick under the bottom of the ramp. To make it less steep.

It's possible of course that my memory is incorrect and that happy hutches have never had a bar across the top :lol: But I'm fairly sure mine did, and I'm fairly sure that it was really easy to just twist the other way and take out again if you ever did want to close off the hutch (which I never did). I honestly don't recall screwing it in place, I'm sure I just left it as it was and I think that also meant that you could still raise the angle by placing a brick under the bottom.

In the absence of any advice from HH on how it should be attached, you could always screw a piece of wood across the top and then just rest it in the hole!

It's possible of course that my memory is incorrect and that happy hutches have never had a bar across the top :lol: But I'm fairly sure mine did, and I'm fairly sure that it was really easy to just twist the other way and take out again if you ever did want to close off the hutch (which I never did). I honestly don't recall screwing it in place, I'm sure I just left it as it was and I think that also meant that you could still raise the angle by placing a brick under the bottom.

In the absence of any advice from HH on how it should be attached, you could always screw a piece of wood across the top and then just rest it in the hole!

I'm waiting for a reply back, then'll update this thread.
I might try your method if the other isn't so complicated.

No, you're not going mad Santa ;):lol: the HH definitely used to have a bar across the top - mine did and I used to put it in as you described.

It meant you had to take the ramp out if you wanted to put the cover over the hole in the floor but I could still adjust the steepness of the ramp by putting something underneath the bottom end. I just had a look to see if I had any old photos that showed the ramp in but I haven't.

I'm intrigued to know how the ramp is meant to go in otherwise, so I'll check back later to see how you got on whitehood. :wave:

You have to line the ramp up underneath the hole then literally screw through the base of the hutch into the ramp. You need two people really so someone can push against the ramp whilst the other positions the screws so that you keep it flush. It sounds wrong I know but thats what HH told us and as long as someone is underneath applying pressure the end result is very sturdy as I was pretty skeptical at first.

You have to line the ramp up underneath the hole then literally screw through the base of the hutch into the ramp. You need two people really so someone can push against the ramp whilst the other positions the screws so that you keep it flush. It sounds wrong I know but thats what HH told us and as long as someone is underneath applying pressure the end result is very sturdy as I was pretty skeptical at first.

Then you wouldn't be able to adjust it's steepness :?

Aaaaah, perhaps they adjusted the design so you don't have to remove the ramp to block the hole in the floor. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing as I remember Alfie used to nip my elbows while I was doing it. :roll::lol:

The hinges sound like a good idea. :thumb:

Aaaaah, perhaps they adjusted the design so you don't have to remove the ramp to block the hole in the floor. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing as I remember Alfie used to nip my elbows while I was doing it. :roll::lol:

The hinges sound like a good idea. :thumb:

That's what they said :)

I never knew that small piece of wood could be fitted back into the hole :?
It has two timber sticks stapled on it horizontally.

I'll go figure it out soon :p

ETA: It fits however the stick stick out :lol:
It's not fitting perfectly though :(
That's handy .. When he'll be restricted to the hutch part only - during his bonding process ;)

Last edited:
That's what they said :)

I never knew that small piece of wood could be fitted back into the hole :?
It has two timber sticks stapled on it horizontally.

I'll go figure it out soon :p

They'll be so you have something to grab hold of when you want to lift it back up again if I remember rightly. :thumb:

Back