• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not looking well advice please :-(

Stacey111

New Kit
Hello all,

This is the first time I have posted on here, however I do look through threads daily.
My 1 year old lionlop Aston has always been very energetic eats well etc however today he hasn't eaten any of his food during the night (his bowl is normally dry!) he runs around the garden freely and as soon as I go out he runs over to me and jumps up wanting attention, however today he wouldnt come out of his cage, I took him out and he has been sat in the same spot for about 2 hours with his eyes shut and when I go over he runs away!

2 days ago I bought a baby rabbit it has a hutch and run of its own they are both boys so they won't be together! Yesterday Aston was hopping round stewies run all day wanting to play.

Do you think he is ill or could he be Moaping cos he thinks he has competition!! And what do I do next??

Thanks in advance x Stacey x

If your bunny hasn't eaten, you need to get him to the vets immediately as they can go downhill quickly. Has he pooped?

As above, get him to the vets. New bun may have passed something to him, he may have eaten something that has disagreed with him etc etc.

Not really sure if he is pooping as I clean his hutch on a fri and wed, it all looks to be normal, I can get near him to catch his as he keeps hopping under the trees! I'll go out now and try again and call the vets.
Xx

If he runs round garden freely something could have been in garden an frightened him if you are not there supervising him just a thought 

Gastro Statis

Not sure if he is prone to tummy trouble but that is what happens to my bunny when he is still and 'moody'

Vets attention is greatly needed.

Hi again,

I have called the vets and they advised to re do his foods keep him in his hutch and if he hasn't eaten by in the morni g to take him straight down, so fingers crossed he will pick up before tomorrow, x

That's a long long time for a bunny to go without eating they deteriorate really fast I would want a vet to look at him if he's not eaten 

Lay out a selection of his favourite foods. If he eats some , and seems okay in himself I would follow the vets advise and take him in tomorrow morning. But if he won't eat anything I would take him in today, rabbits go downhill very fast. In 4 hours my bun went from being 100% okay to passing away, so if you are worried it is better to get him checked out.

I'm surprised, worried and disappointed at the advice you were given by the vet.
Rabbits go downhill very quickly -and a rabbit that isn't eating needs emergency vet treatment. They need to be eating all the time to keep their gut working.

A rabbit that's unwilling to eat might be suffering from various things, is there another vet you could visit as the one you spoke to doesn't inspire much confidence. :(

Hi guys just an update on Aston, after fab advice I ignored my vets and called another one who advises I took him straight down, the vet said he couldn't see anything visibly wrong but he gave hi
An antibiotic jab a vitamin and anotheone (can't remember what that was for!) he also sent me home with some recovery plus.

I have given him some of that when I got home and some just now, I have also soaked some of his food and although he is an outdoor rabbit I have him in the dog cage in the house!! And I'm happy to say he has just started eating his carrots and his dandelions!! Whoop whoop hopefully he will keep it up!

Thanks for everyone's advice xx

Hi guys just an update on Aston, after fab advice I ignored my vets and called another one who advises I took him straight down, the vet said he couldn't see anything visibly wrong but he gave hi
An antibiotic jab a vitamin and anotheone (can't remember what that was for!) he also sent me home with some recovery plus.

I have given him some of that when I got home and some just now, I have also soaked some of his food and although he is an outdoor rabbit I have him in the dog cage in the house!! And I'm happy to say he has just started eating his carrots and his dandelions!! Whoop whoop hopefully he will keep it up!

Thanks for everyone's advice xx

So glad he's feeling better! Good on you for following your instinct and getting him seen - i'm sure he is very grateful to you for it! It always suprises me how many un-rabbit savvy vets there are around. Keep us posted on his progress!

Back