• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP i've made bella bleed!

shell1805

Mama Doe
im freaking out :cry:

me and my hubby were trimming bella's nails and she bolted and i've made one of her front nails bleed! i've caught the quick!
my hubby is holding her foot in tissue, what else can i do? will it stop? :cry:

:cry:

A friend of mine did this, don't panic, apparently it bleeds a lot. I'm sure someone on here has said before that you can put flour on it to stem the bleeding?

Try to keep calm (easier said than done I know) as if you are calm your bunny will be more relaxed! I'm sure someone knowledgeable will be along soon.

im freaking out :cry:

me and my hubby were trimming bella's nails and she bolted and i've made one of her front nails bleed! i've caught the quick!
my hubby is holding her foot in tissue, what else can i do? will it stop? :cry:

:cry:

First, calm down, you'll scare her ;) have you got any cornflour? Dip her toes in it, blow it off, dip again, blow excess off, dip again....
It'll soon stop bleeding, this sort of mishap happens a lot, dont worry! Let her go otherwiase she will start to panic. She'll be fine :)

First, calm down, you'll scare her ;) have you got any cornflour? Dip her toes in it, blow it off, dip again, blow excess off, dip again....
It'll soon stop bleeding, this sort of mishap happens a lot, dont worry! Let her go otherwiase she will start to panic. She'll be fine :)

Wot she said. ;)

Don't worry about it, these things happen. I nicked Oidhche once too...I felt rotten. A wee treat later and it might as well never have happened! It does bleed a lot but it's nowhere near as bad as it looks. :wave:

hubby has been holding a tissue on her toe (she mean while is eating hay!) it seems to have stopped but she keeps washing her foot, is she ok to do that?? :cry: i feel awful, how could i have done this to her :cry:

hubby has been holding a tissue on her toe (she mean while is eating hay!) it seems to have stopped but she keeps washing her foot, is she ok to do that?? :cry: i feel awful, how could i have done this to her :cry:

She's fine, it's the bunny version of us sooking on a papercut! Seriously, don't worry about it, I think most bunny owners have done it at some point. She'll have forgotten all about it by tomorrow.

thank you all so much for getting back to me so quickly, you have no idea how greatful i am *squishes all of you*

i feel sick :( im usually so careful, i cant believe i did this :( i need to do jaspers too but i cant tonight... if i did it again... :cry:

She'll be fine. :wave:
Flour works really well. Grim once ripped his nail out by climbing over an old PC monitor, he flicked his foot to wash it and blood went everywhere, all over the dining room and kitchen. It looks worse than it is.

Flour works really well. Grim once ripped his nail out by climbing over an old PC monitor, he flicked his foot to wash it and blood went everywhere, all over the dining room and kitchen. It looks worse than it is.

Finx did something similar, no idea how, I didn't notice until I picked her up for a cuddle and ended up covered in blood! She wasn't fussed, she cleaned it up herself and carried on. It happens, don't worry! :wave:

:shock: i would faint, i would literally throw up and faint :shock:

:oops: i must seem like such a drama queen :oops:

i have just never seen her bleed :cry:

Back