• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

huge poos! U/D pictures post 4

MichG

Mama Doe
I have a mini rex who has been producing poo's about the size of mini eggs for the past few weeks. There are some normal sized ones too I think, but a lot of big ones. What could cause this? She is on a hay only diet with only profibre pellets. The buns she is in with is producing lovely golden poops mostly and only a few dark ones (he gets a few veggie treats too), hers are dark and huge but she gets no veg!! She seems to have these regardless of her diet!
I should probably add that she is fine in herself, eating and drinking. Poo sample came back as normal and vet is stumped! Her tummy also rumbles very loudly.

Last edited:
are they round? covered in mucus?squidgy? if they are normal apart from size, including the amount, then i wouldnt worry too much:D

IMG_0587.jpg

Daisy's are the huge ones and I think the small (normal sized!) ones are Snoopy

IMG_0536.jpg

One of my bunnys poos are that size all the time but they are golden and dry they don't shine like those 

IMG_0587.jpg

hells bells! I bet they brought her eyes to the middle! Have you spread them out onto a sheet of plain paper and compared the 'make-up' of them to one of the smaller poops? If it's very similar, perhaps there's nothing to worry about. Also, do they smell ok, especially when spread out?

I have now disected a couple of poops! They are very moist and all egg shaped, they have some fibery bits as a normal poop and they smell a bit weird but not offensive particulary. She does pass stinky caecals and doesn't always eat them, they are also huge! You can smell them from other rooms downstairs when she does them!!!

When you started describing it, I immediately though "Cow poop syndrome", but seeing the pics...now I have no clue. Cow poops are usually extra dry, and these look like quite the opposite.
You got me =/

Find my thread about Ginger's poops. She gets exactly the same. It's the beginnings of very very mild dysbiosis, but nothing to worry about, it tends to sort itself in a few days. If its constant, take a look at her diet and work from there.

I have a mini rex who has been producing poo's about the size of mini eggs for the past few weeks. There are some normal sized ones too I think, but a lot of big ones. What could cause this? She is on a hay only diet with only profibre pellets. The buns she is in with is producing lovely golden poops mostly and only a few dark ones (he gets a few veggie treats too), hers are dark and huge but she gets no veg!! She seems to have these regardless of her diet!
I should probably add that she is fine in herself, eating and drinking. Poo sample came back as normal and vet is stumped! Her tummy also rumbles very loudly.

Did it start shortly after a spay ?

Back