• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jumping question

Alicia

Mama Doe
I know rabbits shouldn't be forced to jump, and I would never force my rabbits to jump if they didn't want to, but I'm really interested in rabbit jumping and I'd love to try it with my rabbits. I have tried it before with Molly and she seemed to enjoy it, Archie just ran straight through the jumps and broke them :lol: I was going to try and make a few more and see if Izzy likes it, just in the garden whilst they're free ranging, so it gives them something else to do. I've watched jumping videos on youtube and most of the rabbits on them are dutch or belgian hares, why do these breeds normally do jumping more than other breeds? Does the breed of the rabbit make them any more likely to jump or not? I can understand belgian hares jumping because they are a different build.
As I said, I'd never force my rabbits to jump, I'd just set up a few jumps for them and see if they like it. I've tried it before but thought I'd try it again because Izzy's never done it before.

Last edited:
Any breed can jump, in the UK it just happens that the best rabbits at the moment are a hare and some dutch (and a few rex which are coming on very well), Dutch are quite popular in Denmark though, I think they have a good size and build and general temperament for jumping, lops are really popular in Sweden too, they're apparently easier to train but make more 'faults' when competing than Dutch, and some are crossed with hares so they have longer legs for jumping. But yeah, I'd say any breed (except maybe the English Lop) could do it, just depends on their personality and things really. I've tried to train three thriantas, one is really good, one is good at home but not interested any where else and the other refuses to go over a bar laying on the ground she's that lazy :lol:

Back