• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Holly has a Lump (Slightly Graphic Photo)

Bellatrix18

Warren Scout
My new bun Holly has a large lump on her. It's only in the skin though so the vet's hopeful it can be very easily removed. I'm so worried that it's malignant and could have spread :cry:

Vet isn't 100% sure what it is but it looks like a tumour. :cry: Its about 2 inches long and one inch wide and very solid and lumpy/misshapen so I don't think it's a cyst. Does anyone have any experience of this or know what it might be??

DSCF0798.jpg

I hope it's easy to remove, it does look like it's on the skin. The only experience I've had is a cyst, but that was below the skin.

shouldnt the vet have told you if it could of spread or didnt you ask ?
i feel so stupid now :oops:

There's no way to know if it can spread without testing it. Malignant and benign tumours and cysts and abscesses can look the same from the outside. The usual practise (I believe) is to remove it and then test it to see if it will spread. :wave:

As Jenova said it will need to be removed before it's possible to tell what it is and sent for testing. I would check her over barely every day for any more lumps and bumps appearing.

Thank you everyone.
Don't worry OwnedByRabbits Thanks for explaining! My vet is quite rabbit savvy and I have recently moved to this vets because of this! She explained that we wouldn't know much about the lump until after operating. I was just wondering if anyone knew how likely malignancy was for lumps in buns. I know with rats malignancy is very rare but I was wondering about buns. Hopefully she will have it removed and that will be the end of it. But it's just so big and looks so awful :cry: Her operation couldn't come any sooner :cry: :cry:

I really don't want to wait too long with Hollys lump removal but she also has an eye infection and I don't want to stress her out too much. The vet wants to remove it when I get her and Juniper spayed but I can't get her done until she's feeling a bit better with her eye (and I can't get Juni spayed until her poorly tum settles down). I'm feeling a bit stressed tbh :(

They will remove the lump and send it away for a biopsy and you should get the results in about 10 days. If it's benign it's good, if it's malignant it's not good. It look's very much like a lump one of my rabbit's has recently had removed and sent away for a biopsy and it was a benign fibrous cyst.

It look's very much like a lump one of my rabbit's has recently had removed and sent away for a biopsy and it was a benign fibrous cyst.

Thanks, that's really reassuring. I hope that's all Holly's lump is.

I was thinking cyst, Humphrey is covered in them.

Sometimes a vet can quickly stick a needle in a lump like that and just remove a few cells, if it is an abscess or cyst they may well be able to tell straight away :D

Is it my eyes, the photo, or does that lump have a yellowish tinge to it? if so, it looks to me like a fatty xanthoma (zantoma) As far as I know, they can be fairly easy to remove, but can come back again.

Thanks again everyone
I'll mention fatty xanthoma to the vets in a couple of days when I next go. I'll also ask about doing a needle biopsy and see what they think. I'd love to get peace of mind if possible.

Holly has an eye infection and once her course of fucithalmic is finished she'll be getting spayed, so it will probably be some time next week now. It couldn't come sooner tbh. I can't wait to get it removed and know for certain what it is.

Thanks again eveyone.
She went to the vets again this morning as her course of eye drops has finished. Her eye is still not better so we think it's a blocked tear duct. She also has quite a few tooth spurs. The little minx managed to unscrew the end of the scope thingy when the vet was checking her mouth and then refused to let go of it. :roll: The vet was quite impressed that she'd managed it lol!

I saw a different vet today and he also said the lump looks very much like a cyst. I decided against him putting a needle in the lump today because I really didn't want to upset her any more than needed. She'll have it taken off soon whatever it is. It would be nice to have some piece of mind before her op but I'm sure she's happier without being poked and prodded.

So we've got her booked in for her operation for just over a week, on monday. She'll have a spay, lump removal, dental and tear ducts flushed all in one go! I think I'll be all over the place until she's back home...

Thanks again eveyone.
She went to the vets again this morning as her course of eye drops has finished. Her eye is still not better so we think it's a blocked tear duct. She also has quite a few tooth spurs. The little minx managed to unscrew the end of the scope thingy when the vet was checking her mouth and then refused to let go of it. :roll: The vet was quite impressed that she'd managed it lol!

I saw a different vet today and he also said the lump looks very much like a cyst. I decided against him putting a needle in the lump today because I really didn't want to upset her any more than needed. She'll have it taken off soon whatever it is. It would be nice to have some piece of mind before her op but I'm sure she's happier without being poked and prodded.

So we've got her booked in for her operation for just over a week, on monday. She'll have a spay, lump removal, dental and tear ducts flushed all in one go! I think I'll be all over the place until she's back home...

Wow, that's an operation and a half. :shock:
Better all under one GA. I hope she's okay.

Poor little Holly. :( I'm keeping everything crossed that this is just a cyst and nothing more serious.

It's good that you can get everything done one GA. Will be thinking of you all a week on Monday.

Back