• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rascal not eating this morning - any advice on foods to try him with?

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
He's pooping and they look normal sized, he's drinking but he's not had anything to eat this morning.

So far he has refused:

Fenugreek crunchie, SS pellets, celery leaves, coriander, hay, readigrass.

He's letting me handle him more than usual and is just sat quietly in the hutch with Dizzi grooming him. He isn't grinding his teeth or anything.

I've put two snugglesafes in with him and draped a fleece over one of the doors to give him somewhere quiet to sit.

He's done this to me before, I was worried sick but within a couple of hours he was bouncing round again. I think he just had a tummy ache, which is what I'm hoping this is. He had kale and spring greens for his supper last night and I'm wondering if the two together were just a bit too much for his delicate tummy!?!?

He had a vet check last month when he had his myxi jab, she said he was in good health but to try and get him to eat more hay as it looked like his teeth may have a tendency to overgrow...... but surely if it were a problem, she'd have booked him in for a review appt!?!

I'm keeping a really close eye on him and if he doesn't improve in the next hour or so, I'll be calling the emergency vet ....... in the meantime, are there any foods that I could try to tempt him with that won't upset his tummy further??

Thanks, Jo x

Hi Jo, Daisy is often like that, I think sometimes something doesn't agree with her and she has a sore tum for a few hours. If she refuses fenugreek crunchies though I know she won't eat anything else either. I'd give him an hour or two to see if he improves at all, and then call the vet. I know that Daisy is feeling better when she accepts a crunchie, so keep trying . I hope he feels better soon xxx

The kale and spring green combi might have given him a little gas. How does his tummy feel?

You could try him with parsley, and getting him to hop about a bit might also help if he is gassy.

susie bun

The kale and spring green combi might have given him a little gas. How does his tummy feel?

You could try him with parsley, and getting him to hop about a bit might also help if he is gassy.

Thanks, that's what I thought. He's let me have a feel of his tummy but tbh I don't really know how it should feel!?! I'll try and encourage him to have a bit of a hop about, see if that helps. (and OH is at the shops now buying parsley - its about the only herb I can't manage to grow)!!!

ripminnie

Hi Jo, Daisy is often like that, I think sometimes something doesn't agree with her and she has a sore tum for a few hours. If she refuses fenugreek crunchies though I know she won't eat anything else either. I'd give him an hour or two to see if he improves at all, and then call the vet. I know that Daisy is feeling better when she accepts a crunchie, so keep trying . I hope he feels better soon xxx

Thanks, I'll keep trying, I hope that's all it is ... the last time he was like this he kept lying down, like flopping all the time, he isn't doing that now, he's just sat, but really isn't himself.

I find when mine are off their food, the first thing they will eat when they are feeling better is dried plantain or dandelion. Then they go back to Hay and finally pellets. Might be worth a try..

Well I'm pleased to report that Rascal has had a bit of a hop round, has had a good wash and has had some parsley, I'm mixed some in with his hay and he's now eating that too!!! Yaaaaaaaay!!

Thanks everyone, will still keep a close eye on him but am feeling happier now!

Jo x

Back