• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you report?

rachylou

Warren Veteran
I have been told by an unamed source that there is a bunny left in a small cage in the back garden in all weather, not cleaned regually, bites the bars and bangs his feet in frustration and WHEN let out goes mad round the garden. Would you report this?

Not if you don't know all the facts :wave: I would have to see it for myself before I would report it.

I probably would personally. I would make clear during the call that this is from another person and let them decide.

I think you really need to think about what you are reporting them for at that time. I would be surprised if the RSPCA would act on them being in a small hutch, no access to a run or thumping his back legs.

If at a given time they had no hay, food, water and were filthy they would be more liable to act and it is worth calling them. You need to have a factual complaint that they can see when they turn up.

if i was sure that the bun was in dirty conditions and not given a quality of life... isnt there something in the law now that says the animal has to be given the right to natural behaviour etc:?

No, I'd need more information. Could be the owners are just unaware of proper rabbit care. It's not fair to report someone for being ignorant, i'd write them a letter or try talking with them. Or it could be that they do know the rabbit needs more space but they can't afford it right now or maybe the owner of the rabbit is young and their parents won't let them upgrade. There's been members on here in those sorts of situations.

There could be a lot of reasons, I wouldn't report someone unless they refused to change or give the rabbit away and were obviously neglecting it.

I would want to see for myself first. It could be genuine or it could be sour grapes and someone out to cause trouble. One persons small, may be huge...not cleaned regularly may be that they dont see the persons do it (are they watching 24/7?), lack of food may be that bunny is on a hay only diet...I would want to see first.

Yeah - i think i'd have to see it for myself first too.

Anyone looking at my house might assume that my 3 are locked in a tiny hutch but the hutch is empty and they have a room inside the house and the tiny hutch is their 'summer house garden shelter'. I want to put a sign on the fence saying 'no animals live in this' :oops:

I'd tread very carefully on this one; sticking one's nose in to other people's business just willy-nilly - particularly on hearsay alone - is likely to get it bitten off. Do you know the person who owns the bunny? If so, could you make some excuse and pop round and have a look yourself? "Oh I've got this extra cabbage, can I give it to your bunny as it's going to go off else?! But can I see him too; I love bunnies" ... is a possibly way to get in and have a nosey. You could say this even if you don't know them - use it as an ice-breaker "oh I keep bunnies and heard you do too - do you want this cabbage etc"

Back