• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A very strange thing has happened

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
A bizarre but good thing has happened this evening :?.

Since Valerie has gone Herman has improve immensely. He has been flopping out, stretching out, washing and generally happy. All the things we haven't seen him do for many many weeks. We can only come to the conclusion that Valerie's infection was underlying for some time and Herman was aware of this and it upset him in some way. Watching him this evening we can't believe it is the same little bunny who has been hunched up seemingly unable to get comfy for the past few weeks. It is quite frightening to think we nearly lost the wrong bunny, thank goodness we went with our instinct yesterday otherwise this weekend could have been a whole lot worse!

Aw, bless him. They do say that they can sense these things so it could be the case. I'm glad Herman is doing OK (hope you and Steve are too)

I beg your pardon?

Herman was so poorly that the vet said it was time to pts. Liz fought for one last weekend with him, during which Valerie has passed away due to a horrendous infection which want apparent. It now looks ad though Herman's condition was so bad because he was worried about his partner, not because of his own illnesses.

Liz, thank goodness you fought for him our you would have lost two precious buns this weekend.

It's amazing how bunnies pick up on the illnesses of their friends ahead of even the most caring and knowledgeable owners.

I'm so pleased Herman has brightened such a stressful and sad day for you. xxx

Aww Well done Hermann. I have noticed that since I had to let Bonnie go her husbun is a lot more cheerful. He was her carer and I think it distressed him at times to see her suffer.

Glad to hear the news about Herman. i'm so sorry about Valerie. :cry: I saw it on Facebook but must've missed the thread on here (not had much time to come on here today) must've been a real shock for you and Steve.

Sometimes with hindsight we can see and understand more that was going on that we can when we are in the situation.

I hope that Herman has a less stressful and more comfortable night and can now start his recovery.

:D I'm glad that Herman seems much more like himself; it's often said that they can pick up on things so your thoughts make sense. I'm so relieved that you, Steve and the vet decided that it wasn't Herman's time yesterday, although I know it won't ease the pain of losing Valerie. :(

This is very strange, but I see this kind of thing more and more in all my animal companions, not just my bunnies.
No, it doesn't ease the loss you've suffered but it is good to hear Herman is doing better. :)
More ((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))) for all of you.

im glad herman is doing well... theres nothing worse than an animal pining for their friend....:cry:....its awful to watch. we had this with our cats ,when we lost one the other went on to do really well.. so we wont be getting another..
i hope herman carries on doing really well:love:

Glad Herman is Feeling Loads Better Sorry about Valerie Binky Free Little Girl In The Lush Green Grass Over Rainbow BridgeKeep Improving Herman Big Fella Loads a Vibes Blowing Your Way 

Herman was so poorly that the vet said it was time to pts. Liz fought for one last weekend with him, during which Valerie has passed away due to a horrendous infection which want apparent. It now looks ad though Herman's condition was so bad because he was worried about his partner, not because of his own illnesses.

Liz, thank goodness you fought for him our you would have lost two precious buns this weekend.

Yes thank you Ali, Herman is a changed bunny. Last night he even followed me up the stairs as I went to bed the cheeky monkey, he hasn't been up the stairs in weeks, it used to be his favourite game:love:

I actually felt guilty for not doing what the vet suggested for Herman last week and pushing for another dental, now I am just so relieved. It wasn't his time at all but sadly Valerie's ( that is what I meant by wrong bunny Justine) but she managed to stay strong and happy right until the very end, bless her heart :love: :(

What bizarre but happy news. Animals definitely know when another animal is sick, I noticed with some of the rats that they one would avoid the other before it was ever apparent to me that one was sick. Great news for Herman :thumb:

I noticed something similar with Faye and Furby. When Furby stopped eating properly as he needed a dental, Faye only picked at her food too, yet when I got her checked by the vet he could see nothing wrong. She accompanied Furby for his dental and once he was home and nomming again, Faye started eating as well, but had had no treatment herself.

The vet thought Faye had picked up Furby wasn't feeling good and it had affected her own appetite.

Bunnies are amazing :)

I noticed something similar with Faye and Furby. When Furby stopped eating properly as he needed a dental, Faye only picked at her food too, yet when I got her checked by the vet he could see nothing wrong. She accompanied Furby for his dental and once he was home and nomming again, Faye started eating as well, but had had no treatment herself.

The vet thought Faye had picked up Furby wasn't feeling good and it had affected her own appetite.

Bunnies are amazing :)

They certainly are :love: I think it was particularly difficult for us to realise what was going on because Herman has the exact same problems to Valerie and like with faye and Furby it was practically impossible to see who was really ill!

Aww I'm glad to hear Herman is doing so well and I hope that this brings you both some comfort in what must be a difficult time. Hugs x x

Back