• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Caterpillars?

sierra*323

Mama Doe
I keep finding them around the hutch, mostly on the door.
Not loads, just something I've noticed - thought I'd check they won't cause any problems..?

I've just been pushing them off :)

This is kind of weird but maybe they reckon the hutch will be a good place to start a cocoon. I often find cocoons and butterflies on the rafters and beams of my garage and attic. Maybe the warmth of the wood provides some essential heat.

Hmm maybe :? Hadn't looked at it like that. They're not colourful ones just grey/green, I know nothing about them!
I don't really mind as long as they won't cause any harm to the bunnies...

I think they will be harmless tbh. You want to watch out for woodlice (indicate dampness) and earwigs (eat wood) but encourage spiders in hutches and sheds as they will keep killer flies and other insects down :D

I haven't seen any earwigs and hope I don't but what should you do if you find them? Why are they there?

Ruthie xxx

I haven't seen any earwigs and hope I don't but what should you do if you find them? Why are they there?

Ruthie xxx

Earwigs are attracted to wood I think because it is soft and easy to chew and also because wooden structures seem to house other insects which earwigs eat.

I tend to let the spiders deal with earwigs as I don't like killing any creatures. Unless you're overrun with earwigs I don't think you need worry too much. An infestation of woodlice is far more serious as it can indicate severe dampness and rot.

Oh dear so worrying all of these! I guess when you see woodlice then it's time to get a new home for the bunnies?

Ruthie xxx

Oh dear so worrying all of these! I guess when you see woodlice then it's time to get a new home for the bunnies?

Ruthie xxx

Possibly. If a hutch is off the ground and bone dry it should be fine but any rocks, slabs and terracotta pipes/pots can offer good hidey holes for woodlice as they are damp and shaded from the sunlight. Just keep a regular eye on things especially during the wet weather.

Back