• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sick bunny

i am asking on behalf of a friend as she is really worried about her bunny. On friday she took him to her local vet as he was hopping about with a sore leg. The vet checked him over and ended up just giving him slow release painkiller and sone anti biotics, told my friend to let him rest for 2 days then let him out of cage. My friend followed advice she was given but since seeing the vet her bunny hasn't eaten,drunk or been to toilet. She said he is really heavy breathing and hasn't got any strength to even stand up.
Please can anyone help me as this is urgent.
Many thanks

Very serious I'm afraid. :(
If rabbit don't eat they go down hill very quickly. I would suggest getting to a vet today.
Bunny is probably in pain, do they know what is up with the leg? It could be so many things. If you're not happy with your vet please get a second opinion. If it were me I would have wanted painkillers to take home. The injections only last 24 hours. :?

I hope bunny is okay.

The Rabbit needs to be taken back to a Vet now

There is no other advice we can give, the Rabbit is obviously in gut stasis and the fast breathing is indicative of severe pain and possibly a bloated stomach. Without treatment within the next few hours I am sorry to say that the chance of the Rabbit surviving are minimal :cry:

Very serious I'm afraid. :(
If rabbit don't eat they go down hill very quickly. I would suggest getting to a vet today.
Bunny is probably in pain, do they know what is up with the leg? It could be so many things. If you're not happy with your vet please get a second opinion. If it were me I would have wanted painkillers to take home. The injections only last 24 hours. :?

I hope bunny is okay.

they said it was sprained. but she has just been to look on him and she said his stomach has sunken and limp, and he won't put any weight on any of his limbs, and she picked him up and his was floppy.

they said it was sprained. but she has just been to look on him and she said his stomach has sunken and limp, and he won't put any weight on any of his limbs, and she picked him up and his was floppy.

If she doesn't get him to a vet tonight he's probably going to die. Rabbits need to eat constantly to keep their digestive systems going - if they don't they go into gut stasis as Jane mentioned. Gut stasis means their gut slows down and sometimes stops and can be fatal without treatment.

Gut stasis is often brought on by pain or stress so the sore leg may have been what set off the not eating.

Please, please get bunny to a vet now.

If she doesn't get him to a vet tonight he's probably going to die. Rabbits need to eat constantly to keep their digestive systems going - if they don't they go into gut stasis as Jane mentioned. Gut stasis means their gut slows down and sometimes stops and can be fatal without treatment.

Gut stasis is often brought on by pain or stress so the sore leg may have been what set off the not eating.

Please, please get bunny to a vet now.

thankyou so much for your advice. i have passed it all on to her and hopefully she will do the right thing as i know i would if it was one of my bunnies

i am asking on behalf of a friend as she is really worried about her bunny. On friday she took him to her local vet as he was hopping about with a sore leg. The vet checked him over and ended up just giving him slow release painkiller and sone anti biotics, told my friend to let him rest for 2 days then let him out of cage. My friend followed advice she was given but since seeing the vet her bunny hasn't eaten,drunk or been to toilet. She said he is really heavy breathing and hasn't got any strength to even stand up.
Please can anyone help me as this is urgent.
Many thanks

Just want to say thanks again to everyone who replied to my thread but unfortunately my friend didn't follow any of the advice given to her and she found him dead this morning. so she is going back to the vet to complain.

Poor Bunny :cry:

What a shame that your friend did not make sure she did all she could to help. It's a bit pointless complaining to the Vet. The Vet could not do anything unless the Rabbit was taken to him/her last night

Sorry, but I get very upset by this sort of thing and find it hard not to show my frustration at those who ignore advice. Although it is of course entirely their right to do so. It often comes at a cost to a Rabbit though :cry:

RIP Little Bunny :cry:

:cry: I am so sorry she never took him to the vet, he may have stood a chance if she had taken him.

Binky free little man.

ETA - agree with Jane not much point in complaining to the vet when she didn't take him back.

What a shame that your friend did not make sure she did all she could to help. It's a bit pointless complaining to the Vet. The Vet could not do anything unless the Rabbit was taken to him/her last night

Sorry, but I get very upset by this sort of thing and find it hard not to show my frustration at those who ignore advice. Although it is of course entirely their right to do so. It often comes at a cost to a Rabbit though :cry:

it annoys me too as she was desperate for my help and i spent time getting advice for her and she just ended up ignoring it.

Exactly that. Poor wee bun. I'm glad you tried to get your friend to do the right thing. I hope the vet gives them a lecture, this isn't the vets fault, any vet would expect to be contacted if an animal deteriorated rather than improved and anyone that doesn't do so is guilty of neglect in my opinion.

RIP bunny. It's not the vets fault the bunny died, sorry to sound harsh but it is your friends for not taking the poor thing to the vet. Makes me so mad.

Back