• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hormonal unspayed female

meadowsweet

Mama Doe
We took Hollyhocks to be spayed in January but her heart stopped under the anasthetic before she was operated on.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327714-Vibes-please-good-news-update-52

She is bonded with a neutered male and a spayed female.
Today she has been chasing Wilbur the male and trying to mount him all day, not bothering with the other female.
I brought them up to the conservatory with me this afternoon to monitor her behaviour and she just wouldn't leave him alone and she started spraying a couple of times.
What options are there except to separate her from him?
Is this just a tempory thing that may pass might she be alright if she was just with another female?
To try and put her under another anasthetic would be just too risky, we nearly lost her last time.
I checked Wilbur out and there are no bite marks on his back but his penis looks a bit red and sore, poor boy:oops:

I had an unspeyed girl with a neutered male.Never had any problems.

Other than the time of year, i have no ideas.To separate maybe, but thats not fair.

perhaps to keep with a neutered female.Its going to be swings and roundabouts.

With ferrets there is a Jill jab to bring them out of oestrus.Such a shame there isnt one for bunnies.

I had an unspeyed girl with a neutered male.Never had any problems.

Other than the time of year, i have no ideas.To separate maybe, but thats not fair.

perhaps to keep with a neutered female.Its going to be swings and roundabouts.

With ferrets there is a Jill jab to bring them out of oestrus.Such a shame there isnt one for bunnies.
Thanks, I may have to separate them but that would be a great shame as they have been doing so well together and then it will mean having one as a single.

If they've been separated for a while it may be trying to establish who is dominant. If it's just chasing and humping I would leave them to it, obviously just monitor them from a distance. If it gets to fighting/biting that's when I'd seperate. They may just need time to settle back down

I think it might be stressful for the two neutered buns to have a hormonal one around. You may have to separate her off for the sake of peace and rebond them later on in the year but the same thing might happen next year. Can the vets not use anothr anaesthetic which would be gentler on her? Maybe someone would know?

Fortunetly Hollyhocks seems to have calmed down now and stopped the chasing Wilbur now.
Is this hormonal behaviour liking to keep happening on a monthly pattern?

I have an unspayed female living with a neutered male but she's not the dominant one in their relationship so she's not the one who does the mounting. She sometimes nips and grunts a little, and every now and then does a bit of nest-building. But it's all perfectly normal for an unspayed doe. I'd say just keep a close eye on them for now and make sure there aren't actual signs of aggression.

Fortunetly Hollyhocks seems to have calmed down now and stopped the chasing Wilbur now.
Is this hormonal behaviour liking to keep happening on a monthly pattern?

It's spring. She's totally driven by hormones. You can't expect anything else. She would be well into breeding season by now if in the wild, those instincts, whilst dulled down will still be extremely strong and powerful. She may become aggressive if she's asking to be mated with and nobody provides her with what she believes she needs, so watch out for that. This will likely happen for the rest of her life, but be worst around spring time.

Back