• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New unexpected kits!

Mandyj

New Kit
Hi, i bought a rabbit on friday, by sat night she had started nesting then two babies arrived! This morning one was out of the nest and so i retrived it but it was unfourtnatly dead. The other seemed to be ok in nest till i went to check just now and it was on its back out of nest so i automatically put it back. Now im worried i might have interfered. should i have done this? I have not had baby rabbits before and i have looked online but everything seems conflicting!!

Quickly rub the hay onto baby bunny or rub mum and then rub baby.

That would be my advice....

How stressful!
Baby needs to be warm but it might be that mum is stressed from the move. Rub your hands on mum and in the bedding before touching the kit. I think you did the right thing.

Thanks. i have just checked again and baby is still in nest and mother next too nest so hoping things will be ok. Just wondering why baby was out in first place? R they mobile yet or is it likley mother moved it out?

Mum probably moved it at this age. Make sure she has lots of hay and keep her quiet. Try not to stress her too much, but I know it's hard not to keep looking!
Mum's only feed a couple of times a day so you probably won't see her feed. When you do check the baby it should have a big round belly from being fed.

Mum wont have moved him/her, she is just not staying still when baby latches on to feed and consequently baby is getting pulled from the nest :cry: This can happen when the Mum is very young herself.

Does the kit look plump ? If not and he/she is very wrinkly then Mum may not have fed him/her at all.

Maybe she had been feeding it then. She only had them last night and i read they take a day or two before feeding babies normally so was going to keep a lookout for signs tomorrow. I have been peeking in on baby but not opening cage untill sawbabay out of nest, she is in indoor cage as just bought it yesterday with her! She was to bond with my male rabbit who has been alone since his mate died in December. looks like that will be on hold for a while!! Just hope this baby will be ok. Im rather annoyed the large chain pet store didnt realise she was pregnant before we took her but never mind, it is a nice easter suprise!

Maybe she had been feeding it then. She only had them last night and i read they take a day or two before feeding babies normally so was going to keep a lookout for signs tomorrow. I have been peeking in on baby but not opening cage untill sawbabay out of nest, she is in indoor cage as just bought it yesterday with her! She was to bond with my male rabbit who has been alone since his mate died in December. looks like that will be on hold for a while!! Just hope this baby will be ok. Im rather annoyed the large chain pet store didnt realise she was pregnant before we took her but never mind, it is a nice easter suprise!

If shes to be bonded,with your boy, may I suggest you spey her first.If hes done, there may still be humping as she smells intact.She could hurt him too, if hes too rough.

Hope baby is fed and thriving.xx

He has been done but i was planning on getting her done also anyway! Had a simler problem with his original mate when i got them together. Have noticed baby seems to be on side in nest, should i leave alone still? I dont want to interfere again if not needed!

Back