• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bonfire ash and rabbits, HELP

master265

New Kit
My next door neighbours have had a bonfire of garden waste and wood. Ash has come over the fence and into our garden. Everyday we let our bunnies run around the garden and get them in before dark. I brought my bunnies inside and so they are not breathing in any fumes. Ash has fallen on the grass and bushes. Is it safe to let my rabbits back in the garden after the bonfire? Will there be any poisenous substances on the grass which my rabbits could eat? What can I do to the garden before I let them out again? what does ash do to the soil and growing vegetation that could be possibly harmful?

Thankyou to all comments

Personally, I don't see a big problem from the ash, you could run the mower over the grassto Hoover up any surplus or wait for a shower to wash it in to the soil.

I am worried about the rabbits free ranging in the garden unless you are outside with them as a predictor won't wait until dark to come for them sadly.

If it's just wood and leaves etc it should be fine as far as I know.
Good idea bringing them in to avoid breathing it in. :thumb:

Back