• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just a question (Breeding)

Status
Not open for further replies.
what would you say to someone that has said

So breeding for loving pet homes is not a purpose!

If someone said to me that 'Breeding for loving pet homes is not a purpose' I would have to agree as there are already far too many animals in the UK who are already looking for a loving pet home without adding any more to the equation.

I would probably agree... I'm not against breeding as long as it's responsible breeding (good care of the rabbits, knowing genetic backgrounds, not selling to people who won't take good care of them, etc) but there are a lot of homeless rabbits so I don't encourage people to breed.

Basically im trying to tell this person that breeding for loving pet homes is not really a reason to breed at all as like you said so many in rescue you dont need more shes breeding lops atm the only history she knows on her rabbits is they were bred by her friend again another breeder brreeding for loving pet homes i just cant seem to get through to her that thier are more loving animals than there is loving homes.

Basically im trying to tell this person that breeding for loving pet homes is not really a reason to breed at all as like you said so many in rescue you dont need more shes breeding lops atm the only history she knows on her rabbits is they were bred by her friend again another breeder brreeding for loving pet homes i just cant seem to get through to her that thier are more loving animals than there is loving homes.

Hmm, that's difficult. Since telling her isnt working maybe you could take her to some rescues, let her see how many buns are in rescues and how long some have been there. Maybe seeing it with her own eyes will help.

IF (theoretically) there was no need for rescues at all, then yes I would see a reason to breed for pets only, so no issue with that part.
The fact she is breeding irresponsibly because she doesnt know thier history, and there are too many out there doesnt sit with me. So no she shouldnt be breeding them, you know we'd all agree with that :lol:

Some people just wont be told though

Been noseying at the fb argument, I know there are breeders good and bad that are pet or exhibition breeders, but I do think breeding for exhibition is better as many babies born stay with the breeder and many of the rest go to other breeders (who wouldn't otherwise rescue), they tend to keep better records and really know where their rabbits come from, and when you show rabbits they're going infront of many experienced owners and judges who are likely to spot any health problems. I don't see the point in breeding just for pets.

Hmm, that's difficult. Since telling her isnt working maybe you could take her to some rescues, let her see how many buns are in rescues and how long some have been there. Maybe seeing it with her own eyes will help.

This

I would book an appointment at a rescue and let her see how many rabbits are in need already

im trying to say to her the reason why show breeders (should breed) if to continue a breed or better it, thats why they have standards written.
but she seems to think to breed soley for pets is ok this to me just points to money but i could be wrong

im trying to say to her the reason why show breeders (should breed) if to continue a breed or better it, thats why they have standards written.
but she seems to think to breed soley for pets is ok this to me just points to money but i could be wrong

I guess it looks a bit like you are contradicting yourself saying she cant but others can, when in reality, due to the rescue numbers... none should.

wait.....

So you think show breeders should breed but people who breed rabbits for pets shouldnt?

I dont get that logic... As regardless of the reason a breeder breeds if its not done right or if they dont care about the animals then its not good that they breed.

When trying to breed to the standards you mentioned showed breeders might many rabbits are ill treated and forced to over breed till a perfect litter is produced which either kills the rabbit or seriously damages their health. Many experiment with breeding with produces ill, deformed etc.... rabbits who don't live long or live their lives with health issues

This rabbits can be mistreated and only used for showing and can be showed very little love and caring....

Ask her how she KNOWS they are loving pet homes, does she homecheck, does she make sure their homes conform to rwaf standards (show her hutch is not enough page), get some statistics on how many rabbits are given away/set free/go into rescue in the first year of ownership and tell her them, and also that over 33000 rabbits are given into rescue every year in the UK.

Ask her why she breeds rabbits that she dpesnt know twhe genetic history of, risking genetic problems, why would she want to breed unhealthy rabbits etc.

Ask her how she KNOWS they are loving pet homes, does she homecheck, does she make sure their homes conform to rwaf standards (show her hutch is not enough page), get some statistics on how many rabbits are given away/set free/go into rescue in the first year of ownership and tell her them, and also that over 33000 rabbits are given into rescue every year in the UK.

Ask her why she breeds rabbits that she dpesnt know twhe genetic history of, risking genetic problems, why would she want to breed unhealthy rabbits etc.

^^this^^

In a way, if she was breeding show-standard rabbits but selling them as pets, it wouldn't beAS bad. But by not knowing the proper bloodlines she's just breeding potential problems. My Jasmine came from my friend's
grandad. She was pts at 2 because her jaw was so maligned that she couldn't go a fortnight without having her incisors clipped. That's what bad breeding causes.

It's just plain irresponsible. Plenty of responsibly bred and rescue buns out there, no. Need for casual breeding.

Deffo take her to a rescue. I'm sure they can then show her a bun with chronic probs that were the result of bad breeding and will explain the costs involved!

I am sorry I personally do not see there is any difference, breeding in or out certain characteristics does not necessarily improve a breed.

There was someone who describes themselves as a 'show breeder' who lives within a reasonable distance of myself who crossed two of the breeds that they normally breed to try and breed out sore hocks, these poor rabbits were then 'sold on' to a local garden centre where due to a number of genetic problems those that did not die had to be removed from the store due to ill health. This to me is no better than someone breeding rabbit as pets for money.

I am a little confused with your explanation and wonder if you can explain to me what difference is there between someone who says that they primarily breed for show and your friend who admits to breeding to sell her animals as pets in the return for cash. If someone breeds and advertises that their rabbits are due to have babies on their website and then sells on some of these rabbits for cash ... is there a difference and if so what is the difference ? Thank you

^^this^^

In a way, if she was breeding show-standard rabbits but selling them as pets, it wouldn't beAS bad. But by not knowing the proper bloodlines she's just breeding potential problems. My Jasmine came from my friend's
grandad. She was pts at 2 because her jaw was so maligned that she couldn't go a fortnight without having her incisors clipped. That's what bad breeding causes.

It's just plain irresponsible. Plenty of responsibly bred and rescue buns out there, no. Need for casual breeding.

Deffo take her to a rescue. I'm sure they can then show her a bun with chronic probs that were the result of bad breeding and will explain the costs involved!

I disagree with the 'responsibly bred' statement seeing as there is not ever any 'responsible breeder'. Why breed when there are thousands in rescue. Breeding rabbits is irresponsible in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back