• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit help

lfc 1304

New Kit
hello my new rabbit has been sneezing alot recently and today we found yellow mucus in his nose. We at first thouhgt it may have been an allergic reaction but now obviously we are a bit worried. His general demeanour is fine he is eating, drinking, running around, his eyes have no discharge and his poo etc all looks normal. We daily clean his cage and disinfect it once a week. Can anyone with far more knowledge of rabbits advise me what to do next? Bwecause of the holidays all the vets are closed.

hello my new rabbit has been sneezing alot recently and today we found yellow mucus in his nose. We at first thouhgt it may have been an allergic reaction but now obviously we are a bit worried. His general demeanour is fine he is eating, drinking, running around, his eyes have no discharge and his poo etc all looks normal. We daily clean his cage and disinfect it once a week. Can anyone with far more knowledge of rabbits advise me what to do next? Bwecause of the holidays all the vets are closed.

It sounds as though he has an upper respiratory tract infection. This will require prompt veterinary treatment which is likely to include a course of antibiotics.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/RhinitisRabbits.htm

It sounds as though he has an upper respiratory tract infection. This will require prompt veterinary treatment which is likely to include a course of antibiotics.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/RhinitisRabbits.htm

thank you for the reply he doesnt have any of those symptoms in that article and since the mucus was wiped off he has just eaten a treat from us. When the article says constant sneezing does it mean constant or in spurts? He is not sneezing atm . Also he is extremely active atm as well just nearly escaped from his cage again..... Also i have just checked under his paws (using my hand) and no mocus is present there

Last edited:
Hi. Yellow mucous means that he has probably has an infection in his upper respiratory tract. Even without any other symptoms this is likely to be the case. Rabbits can go down hill very quickly so if it was my rabbit I would be taking them to the vets ASAP. There should be out of hours veterinary cover at your vets practice. I wouldn't leave it until Tuesday if it were my rabbit, I would go today or tomorrow. I hope he gets better soon.

Hi. Yellow mucous means that he has probably has an infection in his upper respiratory tract. Even without any other symptoms this is likely to be the case. Rabbits can go down hill very quickly so if it was my rabbit I would be taking them to the vets ASAP. There should be out of hours veterinary cover at your vets practice. I wouldn't leave it until Tuesday if it were my rabbit, I would go today or tomorrow. I hope he gets better soon.

thanks for reply the yellow mucus has only happened once though in whole life and he has not sneezed now for about 30 or so mins. i will monitor him for next few hours and see. he looks so healthy thats what is confusing. Just to try and be bit more clear he has sneezed from day one cos of house items dust etc this is the first time mucus has appeared

When they have an infection they don't constantly sneeze with mucus, sometimes they dry sneeze, sometimes they only sneeze very rarely. My Nutmeg will wipe it off straight away and it can be very difficult to tell so if I see her sneeze with discharge, even only once, I keep a good eye on it and often will take her to the vets. She has damage in her lungs due to an untreated infection in her past (not while she was with us) so that is another reason to get any nasal discharge seen to quicky.

Back