• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I feel awful :( caught my bunnies bits while clipping her hair :(

*fluffybunny*

Warren Scout
I was clipping Sophie's hair around her bottom yesterday as she's a lionhead and had a dental last week so has been leaving some caecatroths . I've been looking after buns for 10 years and have always clipped messy bottoms and never done anything like this. But as I did it yesterday as she kicked out I caught her at the side of where she wee's andthough it didn't bleed, I could see it bleeding under the skin and starting to swell :( I cleaned it with warm salt water then phoned the vet who were just closing but said to bring her down as the duty vet hadn't left yet.
He wasn't the usual rabbit vet but in an emergency any vet Will do. He said it didn't need stitches and was a clean cut (god I feel awful) and would heal itself. I asked him to give her an injection of vetergesic. He also gave her an injection of antibiotics which last 36 hours. He said to keep bathing it in salt water and continue the metacam she was on after her dental and if its still swollen by Tuesday, to bring her back for another injection.
I feel awful and cried all day yesterday :( my poor little Sophie.
Does anyone know if I can put some cream on? Like Sudocrem? I'm just about to bath her and was thinking this May help? I'm also having to syringe feed her as she's not eating much on her own.

Penny x

I would not put any cream on as it can make things worse. Also, you want air to get to it and cream will create a barrier.

Personally I would just use plain cooled boiled water to bathe it now. Salt water will sting like hell there.

Hopefully she will heal up quickly. Is she pooing and weeing OK ?

What a shame for you but please don't beat yourself up. Things happen but really you did brilliantly by getting her straight to the vet and making sure she got appropriate treatment.

Some sudocream would be fine, just spread it thinly. Hope she is eating on her own very soon!

Thank you both for your replies. I didn't put any cream on, the swelling seems to have gone down quite a bit. She is pooing but they are very small but there was no uneaten caecatrophs this morning so I'm hoping that she had some overnight and had eaten them.
I have just fed her some mashed up banana and fibreplex and gave her some pineapple juice along with metacam. I'll keep an eye on her today, hopefully she'll be feeling better soon.

Great news, so glad your little one is feeling better :D Well done on looking after her so well, shes a lucky bun :thumb:

Oh don't beat yourself up over it - these things happen to the best of us!

I can really recommend getting some professional pet/dog clippers though - I have a pair of Wahl dog clippers and they are brilliant for bunnies, guinea pigs and....dog! They can't break the skin (well at least mine can't - I can press them on my hand while on and nothing happens) and are much less fiddly than scissors!

Back