• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello... New bunny mummy

Upsy_Daisy

New Kit
I have adopted a little girl who is one and we think she's a magpie cross breed. Hopefully keeping her as a house bunny a she gets on v well with the cats and the babies. Just looking for general advice tbh.

She is pretty friendly already, not litter trained yet. Recognises when I call and seems to be having lots of fun today :)

Amy x

Hello! :wave: welcome to RU! Have you never had a bunny before? She will bring you lots of love and laughter, bunnies are awesome :D
Does she have a base in your house or is she just freerange? Does she have access to a constant supply of good quality hay? What do you feed her on? Just don't want to give advice on things you already know! :wave:

Hello :) yes had a bunny before but that was many years ago. He was moot of an outdoor pet and came inside only to the kitchen. We had him for about 8 years. A long time for him! Just forgot things about keeping them inside and as I've not had a proper indoor bunny before just looking for advice.

She has an indoor hutch but I am going to get a large cage and has the run of the dining living area when I am in the house with her. She has marked her litter as being under the babies table haha so need to get her a tray there. Fresh fruit and hay also woodchip bedding although she seems to prefer the carpet next to the radiator where it's warm.

She seems very healthy an friendly. Quite a good weight but not as big as soda pop was so will need to fatten her up but she does seem to have been cared for and like I say she seems great with te cats already. Just want to make her as comfy, friendly and happy as I can <3 she Ben seems comfortable with the babies crying and making noise which was a supprise for me as I thought shed be scared. Whoever gave her up for adoption looked after her really well IMO :)

Amy x x

hi ..welcome ! we have 2 house buns.. we kept them in a massive dog crate whilst they were getting used to the house. they are now freerange:p
we also have a cat, she doesnt bother with the buns at all:roll:..any questions /concerns no matter how silly you feel for asking, ask away as theres always someone on here to answer it!!

Most indoor rabbit cages aren't big enough for rabbits to live in, unless they are left permanently open and just used as a litter tray/ feeding place. It's better if you can bunny proof a whole room (cover any wires with electrical conduit so the bunny can't get at them to chew). You can also put NIC panels around the bottom of the walls if they are wallpapered, as bunnies love chewing wallpaper!
Do you feed pellets or a rabbit mix? Pellets are usually better as bunnies usually pick out their fave bits from a mix. And bunnies don't need much rabbit food anyway, only a very small amount per day. 90% of their diet should be hay or grass. They should have some green food too like spring greens and fresh herbs. You should only give very small amounts of carrot or fruit as they are high in sugar and bad for your bunny, even though they love them! It's like kids and sweets :D
You'll have to post some pics so we can see your bunny! Is she called Daisy? :wave:

She is so cute but absolutely mad haha! Currently chasing the kitten around the house <3 Comes to her name already. At the moment she is in a hutch at night indoors ofc and then I let her out first thing but I want to get her something like a large cage as her base for bedtimes as I don't trust her alone and we also have an alarm she'd probably set off. Would something like a cat/dog cage work?

She's started to wee in the same place now so thats a good thing, what about the pooing? Do bunnies poo everywhere or can I train her to poo in her litter tray too?
Whats a good sign and bad sign of stress etc? Hate to be doing something wrong... she is running and playing and jumping about like when guineapigs Popcorn. I hope its a good sign <3 the cats are not alowed in her base so shes got her own space free from animals and babies.

Here is a picture of her from yesterday and I'll try and get another one when she's settled. She's very nosy today!

Amy x x x

065.jpg

Last edited:
Hello and welcome! :wave:

She's beautiful! :love:

Is she spayed? That makes a huge difference to how well litter trained they can be!

They can be trained to poo in a litter tray. It does take time though. :)
I think having a secure cage for her is a good idea too, even though she's fine with the cats it's safer if she's locked away from them when you're out or asleep. Of course the bigger the cage the better, or even giving her one room to herself.
A rabbit's diet should be 80% hay. The more hay they eat the better. (They also like to eat when they poo so putting hay in the litter tray is a good idea). The rest of the diet should be rabbit food and herbs/veg. Fruit is great as a treat but it's full of sugar so it can make them fat if they have too much. Spring greens (or collard greens if you're in America) are a good veg and cheap to pick up. I always go down the reduced isle and get all the parsley, basil and coriander for 20p each. :D You can also forage for your own fresh food if you're confident at identifying plants. Things like plantain and brambles are really good for rabbits. :wave:

I didn't know they could have parsley etc. that's good as we grow some things in our garden. Unfortunately we have nit bone and borridge in our garden and I have been told they're cancerous if eaten. Does this also apply to rabbits? I'm assuming so?
She hasn't been spayed yet but we can get her done for free as she was a rescue bunny so I will be booking that in. Should I just pop her on her tray when she starts to poo? She has three favourite spots, her food bowl for wee, the plastic sheeting where the babies high chairs are for wee and under the radiator for poo :/ eek!

Oh I'm so in love with her haha! <3

I've found the best way to litter train is to make them want to use the litter tray. Find out where she wants to go, which you've done, and then put a litter tray there. I put newspaper and hay in mine. Then I clean up any poos that are not in the litter tray. There are still odd ones about but most go in the tray. I have two trays in my room, one smallish cat litter tray and one under bed storage box, which is fairly large. The prefer the big one.

Rabbits also poo to mark their territory. Mine go by the side of the hamster cage and the chinchilla cage, so that's where I put the trays. You bun might go where there are other animal smells too, especially if she's not been done yet.

Not sure about the plants, I would just avoid them, usually poisonous plants go for all species.

Welcome to RU. Your bunny is gorgeous! Once she has been spayed it would be good to get her a friend. The rescue can advise further on this. In terms of litter trays, I use those big underbed storage boxes filled with a layer of newspaper and megazorb, then lots of tasty hay.

I have put her litter tray where she poops the most but the little
Mosnster won't use it haha! I'm going to try and get her done in the next week or so. I hve noticed she seems to mark with her poops around the babies play area and also near the cats.
This morning she climbed ontop of the kitten and started humping her! That was hilarious and magpie didn't know what to think. They are both getting on really well!

Amy x x x

Back