• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vetergesic - and another question

Thanks. I was just worried I got some glass in the medicine.

I've to give him it orally though. Would that be OK?

I had to give meds for injection orally before (to rats). The main issue is that they aren't made to taste nice so you probably want to mix it with something strong tasting (banana maybe). It should snap off cleanly and be ok, they are designed to break at a fixed point.

Before you snap off the top of the vial you have to make sure all the liquid is in the bottom or it'll spill out. If theres stuff in the top bit just flick the glass untill it all goes down to the bottom. If it won't go down, tip it upside down so all of the liquid goes to the top then one big flick should send it all back down. Also make sure you snap the top off with the blue mark facing you as thats the weakest bit. I usually cover my fingers with abit of cloth or something because sometimes tiny shards snap off and cut your fingers. I absolutely hate opening those vials!!!

xxxx

As above but please make sure you cover your fingers its painful if you cut yourself as the vial is sharp (speaking from experience) :oops:

Now I've managed to get the vial opened, I wondered how others stored the opened vials? I've lost quite a bit out of this one, and don't want to keep wasting it.

Now I've managed to get the vial opened, I wondered how others stored the opened vials? I've lost quite a bit out of this one, and don't want to keep wasting it.

I draw it all up into a 1ml syringe. I then wrap the syringe in cotton wool to protect the vetergesic from exposure to light.

I draw it all up into a 1ml syringe. I then wrap the syringe in cotton wool to protect the vetergesic from exposure to light.

That's what I have been doing, but I have been making such a mess trying to get the right dose into the other syringe that I thought there must be another way :lol:

Maybe I just need some practice!

That's what I have been doing, but I have been making such a mess trying to get the right dose into the other syringe that I thought there must be another way :lol:

Maybe I just need some practice!

I assume you use a needle on the syringe ??

I assume you use a needle on the syringe ??

Yeah, I should have said that, shouldn't I :lol:?

But I squirt what I've drawn up back into the storage syringe, to make sure I am getting the proper dose and to get rid of the air bubble, and then it ends up going everywhere :roll:

Sorry, another question about it :oops:

Is it only available in vials, or is it available in bottles? And if so, how long would an open bottle last for? With my eyesight I am really toiling with the vials.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience of keeping buns on Vetergesic for an extended period? Its suspected that Harry has adhesions from his liver surgery and he hasn't yet managed to come off of his pain meds and I think will be on them for a while to come. He is on two doses of between 0.24 - 0.3ml a day at the moment (given orally), depending on how hes feeling and I worry about possible long term effects. I've been told he can't move on to Metacam because thats metabolised by the liver and its not worth the risk of putting extra strain on his liver but I worry about him being on an opiate for so long :(

Back