• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What would cause Grim to want to... UD it was his teeth

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
eat veg?
He seriously hasn't touched any veg or fruit for three years or more. Since his teeth started to get too painful. He went off everything apart from pellets, bread, oats and raisins. There is always something available for Smoo and always offer him bite sized pieces but he always turns his nose up at them. Over the last few days he's tried to eat parsley, broccoli and now celery. :shock:

The broccoli made him really gassy and he almost had to go to the vets.

I think his time is coming to an end. :( He looks really small and even on a very high dose of painkillers he's still not 100% comfortable. He's not too interested in food, is shunning bread but will still eat oats. And now veg. Any ideas? I don't think it's medical as such. I'm pretty sure it's not dental as I can tell by the way he eats if his teeth hurt him and he's still eating oats which are quite 'hard'.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is common or not but I have had some very ill bunnies perk up shortly before they died. Both Oidhche and Vinnie ate foods they hadn't touched in months shortly before they passed away - Vinnie naturally and Oidhche coming to the end and being PTS.

I very much hope that isn't the case but it's the only thing I've seen which is similar.

Lots of vibes for Grim xx

Oh Jenova (((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))
:(
He seemed so perky in that video you posted. I really hope it's not time for him yet.
(((((((((((((((((((Vibes for Grim)))))))))))))))))))

I wish I had some good ideas, but I just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you.

No more licking and he's drinking normally. All he wants is cuddles. Me and my friend sat in my room for an hour last night stroking him. I also found something he would eat, soggy chinchilla pellets. But he's not eating a lot.

I don't know if this is common or not but I have had some very ill bunnies perk up shortly before they died. Both Oidhche and Vinnie ate foods they hadn't touched in months shortly before they passed away - Vinnie naturally and Oidhche coming to the end and being PTS.

I very much hope that isn't the case but it's the only thing I've seen which is similar.

Lots of vibes for Grim xx

Thanks. Do you mind me asking how long it was? Grim is mostly comfortable. I just don't want to have to make the decision. :(

I think bunnies know what they need so maybe something has changed inside him to make him feel veg is the right food for him at the moment :?

I hope you still have plenty of time before you have to make a decision for him. I know how completely stressful and draining it is to know a bunnies time is coming to an end and wondering constantly what to do for the best :( Easier said than done as I have to keep telling myself this - try not to worry to much and just go with the flow for as long as you can xx

Thank you. I'm going with what he wants right now. But the veg keeps giving him gas. :?

I dont know what it means but I'd get his teeth checked if you can as he's stopped eating his pellets, it may be possible that his teeth are hurting him differently so its more comfy to get veg at the moment.

If he is getting gas, you could try some gentler veg perhaps? Maybe see if he'll eat some chopped herbs? Could you chop up some grass in a blender?

I hope you are both okay xxx

Last edited:
Maybe he's craving them due to some vitamin/mineral that he's missing because he's stopped eating pellets? You know, like how people crave dirt because their body is telling them it has minerals they need. I could be completely wrong, just the first thing that popped in my mind.

He's licking the wall again. :?

It might be his teeth, they were only checked recently though. It's also likely to be his tooth roots. I'll be ringing the vets on Tuesday.

He's licking the wall again. :?

It might be his teeth, they were only checked recently though. It's also likely to be his tooth roots. I'll be ringing the vets on Tuesday.

This was my thinking, amongst other things. He may also have a headache

With regards to his hydration, I dont mean 'is he drinking' I mean is he showing signs of dehydration despite drinking ?

I have seen the behaviour you describe, including eating 'unusual foods' in Rabbits who's liver function was not good. I hope he can remain as comfortable as possible.

This was my thinking, amongst other things. He may also have a headache

With regards to his hydration, I dont mean 'is he drinking' I mean is he showing signs of dehydration despite drinking ?

I have seen the behaviour you describe, including eating 'unusual foods' in Rabbits who's liver function was not good. I hope he can remain as comfortable as possible.

I checked the elasticity of his skin last night and it was fine. I'll check again.
Thanks everyone for your replies.
My vet said tooth roots, liver or kidneys due to long term medication so it's very likely Jane. He's on a very high dose of painkillers and although he's still not 100% comfortable I don't think he's in pain.

I took Smoo outside so he could have something to eat (she was trying to eat the chinchilla pellets). She didn't want to come back in so I thought I'd see if Grim wanted to go out. I sat on the back door step with him on my lap and he immediately jumped off and ran around chinning everything, in and out of the hutch and then spring boarded off the ramp up to the top of the hutch which is where they like to sit. I've left them out for a little bit, they're both resting now but it was outside that he started to lick the wall.

I really, really don't want to have to make the decision. I know he's not ready yet, but I just want him to go when he's ready. I know he'll tell me when he is. I sat with him the other night telling him it was okay if he needed to go and in response he headbutted me for more snugs. He's not done yet, but it still hurts.

Now I'm thinking it might be his teeth. I'm so confused. I might just take him up to the vets on Tuesday if they can fit him in.

Thanks. Do you mind me asking how long it was? Grim is mostly comfortable. I just don't want to have to make the decision. :(

As you now think it's his teeth I don't know if this is a relevant question any more. I'm glad he is running about like a nutter claiming his property! :lol:

Thanks. His teeth are always bad. A couple of weeks ago my vet couldn't see that they were causing a problem although they were a mess. But they're always a mess.

Today he seems a lot better. He's still not eating enough in my opinion though but he seems more comfortable in himself, for example he's not as hunched. I'll ring the vet tomorrow and see if she wants me to bring him in. I wish I had the money to find out exactly what was wrong with him, not that it would help, but I'd just like to know.

Back