• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Vaccine - offer/cost

Charlotte333

Warren Scout
My vets are doing an offer during April and May on the combined vaccine for £24.99 instead of £49.99. However it only applies to rabbits which aren't vaccinated or where their vaccination has lapsed. So I'll have to pay more as I take my rabbits there every six months for their Myxi or VHD!!

But as i understand, the myxo vacc (new) is a better formula) and the bun is getting it once instead of twice and just one needle a yr instead of 3 and saving 7 pounds??

But as i understand, the myxo vacc (new) is a better formula) and the bun is getting it once instead of twice and just one needle a yr instead of 3 and saving 7 pounds??

I'll be taking my six rabbits at the start of May for the combined vaccine but I'll be paying £300 instead of £150. I know they need to encourage all rabbit owners to have the vaccine but I would have thought that they could have given their existing rabbit owners some discount!

Also some of my rabbits are dental buns so will still need regular checkups throughout the year.

Last edited:
We are charging £40 for the new vaccine. We were charging £21.40 per old vaccine, so was £64.20 previously for 3 vaccinations per year so for most people it is a saving. Cost price I used to pay £8.60 per myxi and got the VHD free as we use Lapinject so if we didn't have 5 buns booked in on a VHD day I would get the spares. Now the new vaccine will cost me £11.88 per bun per year instead of £17.20 so even at cost price it is a big saving :D.

That's why I love our vet. We get 5% discount on all of our vaccs, just because we have 4 buns and keep them up to date.
I hate offers that are only open to new customers - I think it should be the other way round with loyal customers getting the perks.

We are charging £40 for the new vaccine. We were charging £21.40 per old vaccine, so was £64.20 previously for 3 vaccinations per year so for most people it is a saving. Cost price I used to pay £8.60 per myxi and got the VHD free as we use Lapinject so if we didn't have 5 buns booked in on a VHD day I would get the spares. Now the new vaccine will cost me £11.88 per bun per year instead of £17.20 so even at cost price it is a big saving :D.

I think you've confirmed what most of us were thinking. The vaccines are more expensive because the vets have decided to make them more expensive. The cost difference to them is small.

I think you've confirmed what most of us were thinking. The vaccines are more expensive because the vets have decided to make them more expensive. The cost difference to them is small.

Unfortunately vets are businesses and need to make money somehow. They are losing out by £23 a year per rabbit with the new vaccine, where I work by selling the single rather than 3 separate ones, so actually the owner is saving £23 per bun plus petrol.
So although they make more money on a single vaccine they do lose out over all, therefore they are no more expensive to owners, it is juust all in 1 go rather than spread through out the year.

Our vet is charging £30 for the combined vaccination, they used to charge £17 per vaccine. They are charging that regardless of bunny being new customer or existing...I cant understand why the vets are charging varying rates?

I cant understand why the vets are charging varying rates?

It depends on a number of things, each vet will get a different price from the supplier/manufacturer. For example one vet will get no discount form the manufacturer where as another could make a deal and get a substantial discount, so can either charge less or charge the same amount and make more profit. Also vet treatment in different parts of the country vary immensly. For example a consultation round where I am costs between £25-£35 one vets even charge £45. where as elsewhere in the country I have read consult charges being less than £20. I guess it goes on the wealth of the population in that area (???).

I wish I knew this, no one at the vet even mentioned this new vaccine. Mine have just had their myxi. Their VHD is due in August, then myxi in Oct. should I get the combined vac done in August or should I continue to have VHD and Myxi done separately?

My vet is charging just over £30 for the combined, she said they have small stocks of the single vaccines but you have to ask for it as they have limited amounts. I had 2 of mine done this week and they were fine.

I wish I knew this, no one at the vet even mentioned this new vaccine. Mine have just had their myxi. Their VHD is due in August, then myxi in Oct. should I get the combined vac done in August or should I continue to have VHD and Myxi done separately?

We only got our stock in on Thursday and Aggi has been off this week otherwise I am sure they would have had them. I would combine them in August as by October the old myxi should be off the shelf as Nobivac are stopping production later in the year.

We only got our stock in on Thursday and Aggi has been off this week otherwise I am sure they would have had them. I would combine them in August as by October the old myxi should be off the shelf as Nobivac are stopping production later in the year.

:thumb: this is what my vet advised too

Ok thanks for the info. Is the way it's made any more ethical than the current VHD vaccine or does it still involve harvesting it from live rabbits?

Ok thanks for the info. Is the way it's made any more ethical than the current VHD vaccine or does it still involve harvesting it from live rabbits?

I believe it does not involve any new rabbits being killed. There were just some killed in the testing.

Back