• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis with an already poorly George :(

leesabuntine

Warren Scout
Hi All

Needing vibes our way that we make it till morning.
George is being treated for EC/ear infection.He has head tilt and occasionally still rolls...but not a huge amount.He is off his antibiotics and just on metoclop twice a day,metacam daily and panacur daily.

Today he was fine but this evening he is lying down a lot and i heard a gurgling noise from his tummy.His belly wasnt particularly swollen so gave him some infacol and a wee massage. But then noticed he hadnt pooped in several hours.
So tried tempting him with food and hes not too bothered, he has eaten some spinach and pellets but not any hay and he keeps lying flat out...hes not his self.

Problem with george is he is unable to stand up unless in the house on his rugs. So i had discussed with my vet about out of hours and she agreed that looking at george in OOH then they would pts despite any issue due to the fragile state he is in. So i am left with feeding him recovery, bio lapsis and making him walk about to get his gut going till my vet opens in the morning.
He has pooped but they are quite small.
Have the dilemma of do i give him zantac to try stimulate his appetite? A vet has not checked him over

Due to him being being like this he is rolling about a lot again. I feel like my wee soldier never gets a break!
I am not sure what caused this but have a few ideas.....
He had 2 apple sticks from p@h over the last 2 days...hubby thought our other bunny had one so he gave george one when he had already had one that day- i was out- but when i got back he had eaten most of it but i took it off him.
I gave him plantain for the firsat time yesterday
And i ordered saple hay and he ate readigrass.
So not sure if it was one oif these things!

So, and replies very gratefully received....to give him zantac or not?????

Thankyou everyone!

Hi again, I don't know about the zantac but didn't want to read and run... good luck with George, this could just be a blip, don't give up hope yet, you have both come so far

Ruth xxx

I don't think there is any particular danger in giving Zantac in these circumstances.

Are you worried about possible obstruction/blockage? If that is why your asking then definitely avoid giving Metaclopramide (gut stimulant) when a vet hasn't checked but *to the best of my knowledge* Zantac protects the gut rather than stimulates it.

leesabuntine,

My heart absolutely sank when I read your post. This Out of Hours issue is just what we discussed - the fear of it.

Other than to send you my heartfelt sympathy over your situation, I don't have any simple solution. You are doing your very best for George. I know tonight will be difficult but I hope tomorrow will bring better news. George will be uppermost in my thoughts. ....

Thank you to everyone for there kind words.
Well we have made it to this morning spoke to vet as taking him there stresses him out. So metoclop now increase from two to three times a day. Plus Zantac twice a day plus infacol four times and feed recovery and bio lapsis.
Have to make sure he eats loads before giving him metacam as this maybe the cause of it.
When I listen to his tummy I can hear nOises but they are not as loud as last night.
My vet thinks I have caught it early and she is hopeful of him pulling through this.
Let's hope she is right!

So I have a busy weekend with George along with 2 older kids at parties while I entertain the 20 months old as hubby working.
Am thinking of taking the dogs and toddler out to give him some peace. Maybe go buy him a hay tunnel.
The rolling is much less now. Thank goodness as I find it distressing to watch.

Thank you everyone once again!
Now need to give some recovery so I can give his metacam wish me luck as he hates it!

Hey x

Lots of vibes for George, you are doing all you can for him, xx

Domino's tummy has been gurgling too, its such a worrying time!! I really hope George improves, at least with a busy weekend ahead you might be able to take your mind off the worrying, even just for a bit.

xxx

Hi All
THankyou for your messages :0

Well its Sunday afternoon and George is looking brighter.
I really thought i was about to lose him :(
Saturday afternoon i noticed him shivering or a tremor in his back end to got the snugglesafe for him and he wouldnt go near it...so put him in my jumper all cuddled up and it seemed to stop. :)

So he seems to be eating ok.But he is a nightmare with hay :(
Ordered smaple hays and even those wont tempt him!
So going to try farm hay and hopefully find someone local and try that!

Still giving his meds.
Although a quick question for those who have used metacam...what do u feed your bunny before giving them it?Was told he has to have eaten before i give him it and am worried i have not been ensuring hes had enough food to give him it.,

Rolling sooooo much less And hes moving about a lot better.
Still gutted his wee play mate is in her hutch alone...athough noticed this morning she has totally destroyed one of her new toys, so shes obviously been having fun :)
Usually she has free run of our garden but now George isnt with her she now refuses to come out. So i am going to need to buy a run for onto her hutch....just till i can get them a shed in the hope george may be able to live with her.
Nothing is ever simple with these bunnies! lol

Lets just say Hubby sighs a lot and mutters under his breath when i talk and buy about pet stuff i we need...we have 2 cavalier spaniels,1 cat and 2 bunnies...oh and 3 kids 11,9 and 20 months...thats probably why lol.

Once again...may i thank all you lovely people for your support and kind wishes, my wee lad certainly wouldnt be here if it wasnt for you guys!

leesa. x

Sending vibes to poorly George. Hopefully he's turned a corner now, fingers crossed... :wave:

Back