• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Routine

Dave81

Mama Doe
Do rabbits need a set routine or can they cope with changes?

Say for instance shift workers, do the rabbits just adjust to getting their food at different times, I know unlimited hay helps there.

I'm not a shift worker just wondered how bunnies cope

Our bunnies have a general routine, but when I was away at half term in February, my husband was still working and so looked after them. He is a shift worker and they had their tea/treats at hubby's convenience; sometimes at 3am and they were fine. They had unlimited hay of course as he made sure they were well stocked up by leaving extra stuffed loo roll centres and loose hay by the well-stuffed hay rack. Once we were back, there were no problems at all.

Twinkie does like 'his' routine and we pretty much stick to it. He throws his bowls around if he thinks we are a bit late feeding him:lol: However sometimes we do have to vary things a bit and he is always ok. I think he just throws a tamtrum for effect.

Mine have a rough routine but nothing set in stone. For instance at the moment if they get fresh they are getting it around the middle of the afternoon when I get back from the allotment. But later on in the year when I can forage more in the garden it may be later in the day. Pellets in the evening can vary from 7pm until midnight (like tonight :oops:). They tend to pick their cues from me instead. If I walk into the room and over to the wardrobe where the lops pellets are kept, they will instantly run over because they know this will often mean dinner!

Julie has a pretty set routine and will let us know when we are late if we go into her room the kitchen. I worried that when we were on vacation she might have a problem but she always seems to adjust. I have also noticed that she gets up at her eating times and sits infront of where the food comes from but if no one actually enters the kitchen she goes and eats hay at these times and seems absolutely fine.

I work two jobs and one is shift work so none of my fur family have a routine. I think they have adapted pretty well. The buns have plenty of hay and water all the time but their breakfast and supper time varies considerably. The cats have dried food and water down all the time but, again, get their wet food at different times.

I don't think they suffer in any way from my chaotic lifestyle. My hours for one job are flexible which does mean I can fit in vet visits and giving medication by juggling my client visits. I can also do a fair bit of work from home, which helps too.

Back