• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So when does the glut of unwanted bunnies arrive?

PippinWarren

Warren Scout
Just curious....when do rescues start to expect the glut of unwanted Easter presents.

Does it usually happen a month or so after Easter or is it longer.

Saw a family today eyeing up bunnies in you all know where. Funny how they amazingly get a delivery of cute bundles of fluff in time for Easter weekend :evil:

I'm pretty sure they don't plan to order in rabbits just for Easter, it will just be normal stock delivery won't it?

Was that in my town I went in for some willow balls and the amount of guinea pigs and rabbits they have in is shocking 

:-( sad isnt it...this is the time for all RU members to lurk around these shops and talk about bunnies costs, space required and how better escue buns are cause they neutered to no mistake litters and they can friends etc....worked for me a few times.

If a shop has too many animals in a cage or pen which is clearly unsuitable you should let your council know. As it's illegal to do so.

All the guinea pig an rabbit pens are quite big and clean with lots of food an hay an water in but usually they only have 1 or 2 in 

Was that in my town I went in for some willow balls and the amount of guinea pigs and rabbits they have in is shocking 

Yes wendle im afraid so but I did my welfare bit and gave some advice to people and pleased to say they accepted it and didn't buy the said bunnies. I even passed on our local rescue details :D

:-( sad isnt it...this is the time for all RU members to lurk around these shops and talk about bunnies costs, space required and how better escue buns are cause they neutered to no mistake litters and they can friends etc....worked for me a few times.

Warren warrior my oh now calls me. Im so glad I plucked up courage to inform the people of choices. Think the shop manager may ban me if I do it too often.

Maybe the Barnsley ruers should take it in rota?

I'm pretty sure they don't plan to order in rabbits just for Easter, it will just be normal stock delivery won't it?

You think so? Im 200% convinced the you know who pet store buyers ensure they have cute fluffies on every shop floor for this particular weekend, especially since I checked at next nearest town and surprise surprise pens full of babies. :evil:

They don't usually have as many as they have in now at the Barnsley branch they had quite a few guinea pigs 

You think so? Im 200% convinced the you know who pet store buyers ensure they have cute fluffies on every shop floor for this particular weekend, especially since I checked at next nearest town and surprise surprise pens full of babies. :evil:

My local store looks no different to a normal week, maybe its down to individual managers / areas

It's not always the shops you have to watch at this tinme of year.

It's the ads in the local papers!!!!!!

I should imagine that in 2-4 months loads of bunnies will be up for adoption, sale:cry::cry: or just..........:cry::cry::cry:

As much as im against breeding animals. If i saw one in a petshop i wanted, then id get it. Every animal needs a home regardless of where they come from.

As much as im against breeding animals. If i saw one in a petshop i wanted, then id get it. Every animal needs a home regardless of where they come from.

Thats exactly why the pet shops keep replenshing their stock, as long as people keep buying from them they will keep supplying them.:shock:

So stop buying them, the shops will be forced to stop stocking them and what they do have in stock that they can't sell maybe passed to rescues.

Unless of course petshops were only allowed to sell neutered animals.

We need to ease the strain not support financial trading and profiteering. :(

last saturday i went to a garden centre just outside bristol they had loads of rabbits including lots of rexes on thursday they were all gone i hope they went to good homes

Normally when we go to p@h they have 4-6 of each sex, around easter they usually have more than a dozen of each. :(

I agree with you. It isnt the poor bunny's fault if it ennds up in a pet shop.

Yes you are right its not the poor buns fault its sat in petshop. Its the people who keeps buying them that's at fault.:evil:

Like I said if you didn't buy them the retailer wouldn't supply them.

Well I'm glad I got my 2 ladies from a retailer, I'm certainly not at fault for buying them and giving them a good home

Back