• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Savvy Vet, South Essex

trudi

Warren Scout
Can anyone recommend a good rabbit vet in Essex, I use the Wylie's in Upminster at the moment but the exotic vet there doesn't seem to be around much lately and the other vets aren't very rabbit savvy and I feel like I'm wasting my time. Many thanks.

If you PM 'louise and gus' she will be able to make recommendations for you and advise also on surgeries where the she would recommend that you avoid.

Is it William you try and see? I think Lou said that he is mostly at the hornchurch branch these days (4 days a week), it might be worth trying ringing there directly if you get no joy at upminster. I'm sure Lou also said that there is a new vet at upminster who he trained in bunny stuff and who he rates, but I can't remember what his name is...again Lou will know.

Others might be able to recommend other practices in the area too, though - but I think you'll find that most people in that area do already use William.

Where abouts do you live?

Ivy Lodge in Upminster is used by my local rescue and are recommended by them...never used them myself thiough. My vet is Animal Ark in Goodmayes...a few might not recommend this pratice but I have used them for the past 3 years and have never had any issues.

I would absolutely beg anyone not to use animal ark! Your buns are in much safer hands with the non-savvy vets at wylies than they are there, IMO. KarenM I think uses a vet in grays, and there is also an exotics referral practice near wickford (south beech) if you can't/dont want to get to William in hornchurch and if either of those are nearer. Also there is an exotics practice called lawtons in Harold hill. William is far and away the most recommended exotics vet round that way though.

Last edited:
William has taken on another exotic vet to train up, it is really worth sticking with Wylie, William is at hornchuch more now but if you ask the receptionist they can book the appointments wherever he is. I went through 5 vets before finding him, there is no one else in the area with half as much experience and rabbit knowledge.

Please please don't use animal ark, I wouldn't go to them if I had a sick rabbit and they were the last vet on earth!! I won't go into details but I have seen far to much damage done there :(

South Beech at Wickford has a completely different set of vets now. I don't know if they still take exotics referrals (although I assume they do), and I don't know of anyone on here that has used them since the change. I'd be interested to hear if they have.

http://www.southbeechvet.co.uk/personnel.html

Last edited:
Yeah KaranM's vet is good, in chafford hundred, can remember the practice name

I used to use Riverside in Grays. Tbh, I used to be very happy with them but in more recent times I found that knowledge was a little hit and miss depending on which vet you saw so I'm now using Companion Care in Pitsea & have been for about a year.

I've not had real reason to test their knowledge in great detail since changing (and fingers crossed I don't ever have to) but I've asked both vets lots of questions each time I go. :oops: Both have a keen interest but are also willing to take on board suggestions or to seek advice from an exotic vet if they're not sure.

I don't think you can beat William Lewis's knowledge in the local area though.

William has taken on another exotic vet to train up, it is really worth sticking with Wylie, William is at hornchuch more now but if you ask the receptionist they can book the appointments wherever he is. I went through 5 vets before finding him, there is no one else in the area with half as much experience and rabbit knowledge.

Please please don't use animal ark, I wouldn't go to them if I had a sick rabbit and they were the last vet on earth!! I won't go into details but I have seen far to much damage done there :(

I have had a rabbit here for rehoming that was 'cared for' by Animal Ark. Absolute disaster and she had to be treated by other vets to try and 'fix the bodge' and I have heard many other awful examples of their care. Please don't consider them.

Many thanks for all your replies, very much appreciated.

I will take onboard everything that has been said, phone and visit other surgeries with lots of questions and make a decision on what I feel is best for my rabbits.

My main concern with the Wylies is in emergency/hospitalization situations where the facilities are at one branch and the vet I have 100% confidence in is in another. It may, at the end of the day, be better to stay where I am but now that doubts have crept in I feel I need to look at all options.

Once again thank you all.

My main concern with the Wylies is in emergency/hospitalization situations where the facilities are at one branch and the vet I have 100% confidence in is in another. It may, at the end of the day, be better to stay where I am but now that doubts have crept in I feel I need to look at all options.

I totally understand what you mean - I think Lou said that he goes over to Upminster after morning consultations in Hornchurch do to the operations etc, but I would also share your fears. Sounds a bit crazy but why not talk to him about it - he might be able to reassure you that he's still in control of bunnies at Upminster even if he's consulting at Hornchurch, or if not, he might have some advice about where else might or might not be worth trying... I do hope you find a solution that you're happy with, it causes so much anxiety when you aren't 100% happy with the way vet care is working out, doesn't it :?

I know exactly where you are coming from, I too would actually sugest talking to William about it. He is very open about the fact some of the other vets aren't bunny savvy, and I know he really would like to know if you feel something has been not right.

I used to use companion care in romford and they had a couple of good vets, but even if I asked to see a particular vet I'd end up with the one I didn't want, but could be worth speaking to them.

Many thanks for all your replies, very much appreciated.

My main concern with the Wylies is in emergency/hospitalization situations where the facilities are at one branch and the vet I have 100% confidence in is in another.

I have had this problem with Wylie's more than once and feel I have lost rabbits twice because of it over the years:( but no vet is available 24/7 so I guess it could happen anywhere. I have been told which vets to go to next at Wylie's if William is not available which helps but they are not always there either. The scary thought is that if all complicated rabbit situations are dealt with by William you have to wonder how experienced the rest of them are. The new exotics vet there is called Matt - he started this month. He does not specialize particularly in rabbits but he sounds very good ( I haven't met him yet myself).

The scary thought is that if all complicated rabbit situations are dealt with by William you have to wonder how experienced the rest of them are.

I've experienced this too, at another practice. But, on the other hand, if a practice attracts a lot of small animals, I think it stands to reason that the other vets are also more likely to see more of those species than is the norm (eg. emergency situations etc).

I have been looking on the web and South Beech in Wickford looks promising, am going that way today so will go and find out exactly where it is. My friend uses Trinity in Maidstone and has suggested I try there, I know they are very good with rabbits but I have to consider the journey and if they would take us on.

I am not due to go to the vets for a while, unless there is a problem, but if William does go to Upminster after consultations and keeps an eye on things especially with the new exotic vet there, I may hold fire until I have the chance to speak to him.

Thanks for your replies.

Back