• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Neuters

elaine

Mama Doe
I have been thinking about this for the last few days, I regularly get calls about females having litters as people are told they cannot breed till they are 5 months old. I don't know whether I am lucky but my vet spays females at 10 wks and castrates males at 8-10 wks, surely if other vets did this we wouldn't be having all these unwanted babies, another good thing is my vet glues so no problem with stitches.
It also amazes me the amount of vets etc that cannot sex babies at 8 wks

I *think* the main reason most vets don't like spaying so early is that the uterus is tiny when they are so immature so I presume its more fiddly and therefore more risky. Perhaps there would be more risk of surgical adhesions if the surgery is more fiddly? (Don't know that for sure just guessing from other discussions I've had).

As for mis-sexing, it's really bad that they aren't sexed correctly, it's essential that people have a professional to rely on to get it right. The lady I got Elijah off (he was dumped) said her vet sexed him as female - turns out he was an 8 month old male, so not even a very young rabbit :roll: (X-rays of his skull showed bone development consistent with 8 months old).

How do you get boys neutered at 8 weeks? Surely their plums haven't dropped?:shock:

My vet will spay at 5 months, but I've never asked for before as it's more dangerous with bun not being developed properly..

I have regularly heard breeders saying buns cannot get preggars until 5-6 months though:cry: & I guess people just believe what they are told:cry:

my vets will spey at 15 weeks if doe is fit and weighs at last 1kg
younger/smaller than that is not advised. the ovaries are so small that it can be hard to be sure you have removed all parts..threads are like cotton. I wouldn't have a 10 week old speyed unless for medical emergency reasons.

bucks have to have their testicles dropped..again about 15 weeks onwards

I suppose I am very lucky that they are done so early, he really doesn't have any problems but he does kittens at 5 wks I think it must depend on the vets, the other vet I use will do males at 10 wks they don't bother whether the bits have dropped as they do the tube.

He also used to neuter mice

Elaine

Back