• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Treat for Supper

Dave81

Mama Doe
What do you give to your rabbits for their supper?

I'm currently feeding the evil Muesli mix, they do go mental for it. I know it's bad for them so when it eventually runs out I'm looking for ideas to replace it with

Muesli's okay so long as it's only a small handful as a treat, surely?

To answer your question, when I tuck mine into bed (or if my hubby goes to them if I'm busy) at about 9/9.30, they generally have one cabbage leaf (it's usually a big one) and half a gnaw stick from Wilkinson's which have no sugar in them and they absolutely love! I have to give them a piece each at the exact same time - to the millisecond - else they'll have a spat at each other. They only have one leaf, or some carrot, as they've had greens in the day. It's purely cupboard love - they get so excited they stretch up the hutch door to be let out - but I love it too :lol:

Mine get pellets in the morning so their tea is herbs for the older two and will be the same for the babies when they are ready for them :) Last thing at night before I go to bed I take them a fenugreek crunchie each ;)

For years Grimlock would only eat muesli and not any muesli, it had to be the one that is mostly squashed peas (and not the crinkly kind) and had moon shaped red and yellow bits in. I tried all sorts of other pellets and then one day my sister gave me some of her excel and Grim ate it. And then wouldn't eat the muesli.

If the rabbits aren't selective feeders i.e. they eat all of the muesli I don't see the harm in them having it. As long as most of their diet is hay. I think muesli gets a bad name because people who aren't very knowledgeable feed lots of it and no hay. Grim was a selective eater which is why I swapped him over, and I'm so glad I did as due to his teeth he would not be able to eat muesli now. He has his pellets soggy.

But hay is the most important part of a rabbit's diet, as long as they eat that I think 'food' comes second. Science Selective is supposed to be one of the best foods. Excel can often cause excess cecals but is quite easy to get hold of.

Mine get pellets in the morning so their tea is herbs for the older two and will be the same for the babies when they are ready for them :) Last thing at night before I go to bed I take them a fenugreek crunchie each QUOTE]

That's what I read and thought "what?!" a Crunchie?! :lol::lol::oops::lol:

Last edited:
That's good then yeah they have pellets for breakfast and tea, the Muesli for supper then unlimited hay.

All small portions for breakfast, tea and supper

Mine have just had their going to bed supper...a handful of readigrass and wilkinsons dandelion mix with 3 fenugreek crunchies broken up in it. Their fav meal of the day :D

I had some of that dandelion mix the other week they loved it. I've currently got some from Sainsburys which has lots of flowers and stuff in

The dandelions are out in abundance round here so Louie gets a handful before I go to bed :D

Hawthorn, plantain, rose petals & leaves, bramble, raspberry & strawberry leaves :thumb:

All of the buns I've had here have gone bonkers for any of the above :lol:

Tonight mine have had their early as im going out so they all had a top up of hay, flat leaf parsley (first time for L&R and they LOVED it!!) and an apple stick each :thumb:

Twinkie has a bowl of his usual fresh herbs/leaves, a few nuggets from his daily allowance and unlimited Hay. I feed him 4:shock: times a day because I always have done and he get's in a right strop if I try to change this routine.

He has his first breakfast same as above at around 6am

He has his second breakfast:shock: at around 10am (Same as above)

He has his tea at around 5pm (Same as above)

Supper is around 10pm or whenever we go to bed

I can't believe how much he puts away and his is such a small little thing!

Last edited:
Doughnut has a small bowl of bramble leaves but she loves rose leaves. I don't think they are as good for her as bramble leaves but since I'm having trouble getting the bramble leaves I'm going to up her rose leaves as I think they are high in fibre as well. She has an egg cup of SS pellets a day and unlimited hay and a few sprigs of either dill or coriander.

Trying to get her on a more natural diet so will try rose petals and echinecea when it's out in my garden :)

Back