• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question re dental

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
One of Mole's incisors re-grew and he had it removed today. The vet nurse said to make sure he ate and to keep him warm. Problem is, I can't do both. I kept him indoors and he just drowsed/wouldn't touch his food. I put him outside and he started hopping round nomming hay. Do I bring him in or keep him out?..... :roll:

Aw I've been wondering how little Mole has been doing! :love:
I dont know what to suggest but to me it sounds like he is happiest and least stressed by being outside. I presume he has somewhere warm and snuggly he can go to if he feels thats best for him? Maybe you could stick a heatpad in there and just keep popping out every so often to check on him? At least its not as cold outside today as it was yesterday. I'm really no expert so hope others give their advice too. :wave:

If he had a GA today i would definitely keep him in tonight. Don't know about your area but it is going to be -1 here tonight :(

We always have a similar dilemma with Scarlet. What we did after her extractions (mid February) was put her back out and then look at the night temperature to decide whether to bring her in. We opted to leave her out, but she had stayed overnight at the vet so was about 40 hours post anaesthetic by then. FHB had suggested we keep her in on the day we brought her home, but she nearly went into stasis after her previous dental and is less stressed, more active and poops if she's back in the hutch. It's always a nightmare of risking stasis vs the temp issues they get from the anaesthetic.
Given that this is op day for Mole I'd probably get him in overnight by 6 before the temps start to really drop. If he's had a run around and some food I'd opt on protecting him from the cold tonight whilst he's still under the influence of the anaesthetic and unable to regulate his temperature properly.

Aw I've been wondering how little Mole has been doing! :love:
I dont know what to suggest but to me it sounds like he is happiest and least stressed by being outside. I presume he has somewhere warm and snuggly he can go to if he feels thats best for him? Maybe you could stick a heatpad in there and just keep popping out every so often to check on him? At least its not as cold outside today as it was yesterday. I'm really no expert so hope others give their advice too. :wave:

Aw ty he's doing extremely well. :love::love:

He's got a friend from whom he's inseparable and a friendship group he hangs out with, plus he comes in two or three tmes a day for hand chopped veg. He does eat hay and tries to graze but it must be hard without incisors. He has gained weight and is such a happy little boy - can't believe how close he came to being pts. :shock:

I may let him stay in his hutch tonight with his friend - add a heat pad and cover the hutch over really thoroughly, as he doesn't seem nearly as lively or happy indoors.

UD Just looked outside and he's bombing round the garden. :shock:

We always have a similar dilemma with Scarlet. What we did after her extractions (mid February) was put her back out and then look at the night temperature to decide whether to bring her in. We opted to leave her out, but she had stayed overnight at the vet so was about 40 hours post anaesthetic by then. FHB had suggested we keep her in on the day we brought her home, but she nearly went into stasis after her previous dental and is less stressed, more active and poops if she's back in the hutch. It's always a nightmare of risking stasis vs the temp issues they get from the anaesthetic.
Given that this is op day for Mole I'd probably get him in overnight by 6 before the temps start to really drop. If he's had a run around and some food I'd opt on protecting him from the cold tonight whilst he's still under the influence of the anaesthetic and unable to regulate his temperature properly.

Ah okay; ty. This does sound like a very similar dilemma. Will see how he is in half an hour and probably bring him in to be on the safe side. It's hard to know what to do for the best...:?

Maybe it would be better to bring him in overnight if its going to be another cold one... it has been so cold lately and the night temps are still getting very cold and frosty.

Pleased he is doing well generally in himself (aside from his procedure today I mean). :love:

Maybe it would be better to bring him in overnight if its going to be another cold one... it has been so cold lately and the night temps are still getting very cold and frosty.

Pleased he is doing well generally in himself (aside from his procedure today I mean). :love:

If he had a GA today i would definitely keep him in tonight. Don't know about your area but it is going to be -1 here tonight :(

Thank you both, and RedFraggle too. In tonight it is! :wave:

How is Mole today? :wave:

Ty for asking. :wave: Mole doesn't appear to realise he's had a GA. He's been hopping round, nomming and sunbathing in equal quantities. :love::love::love:

Hopefully the incisor won't regrow this time - he's had more than his fair share of GAs already, methinks!

Ty for asking. :wave: Mole doesn't appear to realise he's had a GA. He's been hopping round, nomming and sunbathing in equal quantities. :love::love::love:

Hopefully the incisor won't regrow this time - he's had more than his fair share of GAs already, methinks!

Awww bless him, what a little trooper!! :love::love: So glad he is straight back on his paws and buzzing around! I'm not sure I have seen any photos of him lately *cough* :p

Back