• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Veg for very picky buns...

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
Is there such a thing as a vegetable/herb/whatever that is so popular among most rabbits that even one who is SUPER picky would be likely to want to try it? :)

I always end up giving mine carrots and cucumber because Boris won't eat anything else :roll: Whatever I get him, he remains unimpressed :lol: Bella however will eat absolutely anything. I know they technically don't need veg but every now and then I like to give them something as a little treat, so I'm wondering what to try next with Mr. Bunny being so picky :lol: I tried growing dandelions indoors (they both love those) but for some reason they died on me :oops:

I give Doughnut dill, she loves it, better than her pellets and that's saying something. It's good for gas and an appetite stimulant so will eat more hay. I don't give veg as can cause gas and also fruit is high in sugar. She also has bramble leaves which is great for digestion and loves them too.

Let me know if dill's a hit, she turned her nose up at kale and other stuff I tried until I decided on a mainly forage diet to keep her healthy. She also likes dandelions but not the purple dead nettle and other weeds I have in my garden. Going to try her with coneflower and rose petals as got them everywhere.

Can't remember if I've ever tried giving him dill, but I'll get some and see what he thinks of it! :) Sounds like a great thing for them to eat :)

She got gas, don't know what from as don't give veg, so since then introducing stuff good for digestion and gas! Tried her with lemon balm but no interest there either, but may try again later when it grows more since I have lots in my garden.

My friend gave me some sage to try thinking it was mint as I thought she may like that. Rabbits can have sage but no interest, think she's picky too. She likes what she likes and that's it.

ours like pea shoots, chinese leaf , romaine, spinach, coriander, flat leaf parsley, fresh grass... and they have a day off every week with just timothy hay. they love hay cakes :love:...they never have alfalfa as hazel has bladder sludge issues so anything with calcium has to be monitored...like the spinach,parsley,etc..

I give Twinkie any combination of these, Lemon Balm, Thyme, Marjoram, Dandelion, Mint, Sage, Bronze Fennel, Rose leaves, Bramble leaves., Rocket, Spinach, Pea Shoots, watercress, spinach, Coriander, Parsley, Basil and Calendula -but then.......he will eat almost everything:lol:

I think he loves the scents of all the freshly picked herbs mixed together.

He does eat loads of Hay as well:)

Mine will all eat Basil that's roughly the one universal herb I have found so far. I am thing to keeping buying them until I find more herbs

Do they taste them and then decide they don't want them? Only asking because Basil bruises and releases scent really easily,we used to have a picky bun who would only have basil or home grown corriander, my Dad came round and bruised the leaves of some other herbs before he gave them to Mops and he scoffed the lot!! We figured it was the scent he went for and he liked them straight from the plant too not the ready cut stuff in bunches.

I have a similar problem... Charlie won't eat fruit/veg/herbs other than carrot and brocolli.
So, he just gets veg very very rarely :lol:

Back