• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

familiar symptons: backend, legs and tail shake/twitch? Also head, slightly

cara

Alpha Buck
Sorry if a new thread confuses matters, but I need help with a specific sympton.

Is anyone familiar with the following symptoms : Sweep is wobbly and weak at his backend. He is being treated for EC, but I don't have a diagnosis as such. He has been poorly since Sunday.

In addition to the above symptons, today I was able to observe and noticed that when he is lying flat out, his back end almost constantly shakes or twitches. I had noticed it before, but I think this sympton has become worse. This includes his legs and tail. His tail is not what I would call relaxed. I am sure it would normally be downwards (I know this because I would often take the opportunity to lift his tail and check his bum). Instead it is evident that it rests upwards when he is lying flat.

I have also noticed that his head shakes slightly.

Has anyone had a bun which has had these symptoms?

Last edited:
Hi Cara.
Has the vet seen Sweeps backend and legs twitching. If not could you video it an show them or make an appointment.
From what I have read on EC bunnies can suffer from tremors in there body so it could e that.
Regarding sweeps head, we're his ears checked for mites and infection? Again maybe speak to the vet or get him seen again.

I have experience of head tilt and weak back legs with George and when I lift him up he tremors all 4 limbs but we limit handling him and other than a few wobbles and rolls everyday he's ok.

I have been there like you thinking of how and who would be putting my boy to sleep.
Take each hour by hour at the moment and you could try discussing your fears about thw weekend with the vet or one the nurses u know in ur practise. I have the same problem my vet doesn't do out of hours herself and I know even now they would take one look at George and PTs now as he cannot stand on anything other than a rug I have.
Can I just say I feel sick that my vet won't be opened till Tuesday. It really worries me and all weekend I will spend indoor with the kids and George. We live day to day with George.

Your doing an amazing job wih Sweep and you have support from us bunny mad folk on here.

When is your next vet appointment?

Hi leesabuntine,

In honesty I think Sweep has had enough :( He is definately not happy. His carrott and broc has sat there all day. The biscuit he would have woolfed down yesterday has only had a nibble, and he won't entertain a piece of toast. There have been no poops.

He may be uncomfortable and not eating but I am not convinced pain killers would address his problems. Age is not on his side. I thought he was nearly 9, but checking my records I see he is 10 in a couple of months or so. A good age.

I have cried most of the day (and I know you know absolutely how I am feeling) and dithered from one decision to another - but I cannot bear his suffering, when I think the prognosis is very poor :cry:

I have an appointment at 5 pm, so will see what the vet thinks. I will let you know the outcome. Hope today is a very good day with your bunny. Thanks ever so for keeping in touch.

Aw cara am really sorry to hear About Sweep.
I hope ur vet appointment went ok.
You will know what is best for sweep.
Take care and spk soon. X

I think you can guess the outcome at the Vets :cry:

It was our decision (my husband and I) backed up by the Vet. We will never know what truly might have been, but our decision today came from the love we have for Sweep and that is about all anybody can do, without being able to see into the future.

I am heartbroken. I love him sooo much and really miss him. I know people will tell me I will feel better... this is true, but meanwhile it's a bloody awful pain to bear.

Thanks once again for everyones support. I wish you all quality time with your bunnies, the strength to do the right thing when the time come and a sense of peace with your decision - whatever it may be. That's what I am hoping for xx

Im so sorry to hear about Sweep. :(
And i am a believer in knowing your animal well enough means you know when that time is right to let them go peacefully.

RIP little Sweep.
Take care.x

Back