• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

house buns and dogs?

rabbitmum

Mama Doe
hi all...
sorry i havent been on here for aaaggggeeesss but we have moved home and been busy with ill fur babies and work too:roll:

just a quick question for all you bunny and doggie mums and dads out there
we are looking to extend our family with a much longed for doggie ..we have 2 house buns , a cat and 8 house piggies .
we have no kids and no chance of having them..we are a quiet home and dont have people over very often and when we do we dont have more than 4 people and NEVER any loud music etc ..because of the fur babies.
what should we be looking for ...breed wise/ age etc.i know each dog is an individual so you cant be too breed specific, but obviously not a greyhound/collie as the chase /herding instinct might be too much.
any issues that you have come across? i have had dogs in the past ,before the buns , so know quite a bit about them .but i keep getting conflicting views on breeds etc.,i thought the best people to ask were people with buns and dogs!!
any advice greatly received;)

generally I'd steer clear of terriers too :wave: obviously there are exceptions to the rule :wave:

I'd go for an older dog, very chilled out, cat tested. Staffy prehaps?

My OHs family had boxers and they all had different personalities etc...

However they're natural protect instinct of the family meant they always cared for the buns as well African grey and of course the hoomans.

We will be getting our own boxer soon :) (well couple of years haha)

thanks for the replies....my knowledge of boxers is that they can be quite bouncy:lol: just worried about the buns and a boxer in the same room :shock::lol:

I wouldn't rule any breeds out. Any breed could savage a rabbit, any might decide it's part of their pack and take care of it. A lot of greyhounds in rescue are there because they had no chase instinct so weren't suitable for racing, for example.

Go to a rescue and talk to them about the dogs that they have in. They'll point you in the right direction based on the individual dogs personality which is the absolute most important thing.

thanks for the replies....my knowledge of boxers is that they can be quite bouncy:lol: just worried about the buns and a boxer in the same room :shock::lol:

True 'bouncy' is one word you could use. They do require a lot of activity or you might have no wallpaper left

I wouldn't rule any breeds out. Any breed could savage a rabbit, any might decide it's part of their pack and take care of it. A lot of greyhounds in rescue are there because they had no chase instinct so weren't suitable for racing, for example.

Go to a rescue and talk to them about the dogs that they have in. They'll point you in the right direction based on the individual dogs personality which is the absolute most important thing.

:thumb::thumb::thumb: 100% agree. ANY breed can be great with your fur-babies just as ANY breed can decide they want to eat them. My two collies are both fine with my buns but they were brought up with them from puppies and trained to treat them with respect.

My own personal preference would be to avoid any type of terrier purely because they often have a strong hunt instinct. But that's not to say they all would.

:thumb::thumb::thumb: 100% agree. ANY breed can be great with your fur-babies just as ANY breed can decide they want to eat them. My two collies are both fine with my buns but they were brought up with them from puppies and trained to treat them with respect.

My own personal preference would be to avoid any type of terrier purely because they often have a strong hunt instinct. But that's not to say they all would.

This :thumb:

My dog has greyhound in her and she adores my rabbits. There is no chasing but that is probably because I trained her from day one it wasn't allowed. One of my previous giant rabbits use to wind her up, run up to her, turn and skid and pelt off full speed and she'd be stood their,wagging her tail, knowing he was playing but knowing she couldn't chase him. Fortunately the rabbit grew out of doing that :roll::lol:

thanks mackers... ive had conflicting views on wether a puppy would be the best or not.... some say yes others that an older dog say, 2 would be best:roll:
we had 2 cats from 15 weeks old, that i completely trust with the others .the male cat ,Pickle , used to play with our french lop...both have passed on to the bridge:cry:
i know a dog would be different ,although im thinking that no dog bigger than a collie would be best as a dog to big might scare them even if they see it grow from a puppy....

When we got our dog we decided on a puppy because he was smaller than the bunnies when we first got him - so knew that they were boss!

He is a Jack Russell cross Fox Terrier and he loves the rabbits. He lies next to them and licks them ....to my disgust he goes around after them and eats poop they may leave outside of their litter tray! I never leave him alone with the bunnies because they are locked in the living room when I go out. However, I know that he would never hurt them. He is crazy and bounces like a kangaroo but just seems to know that he needs to be calm around my buns.

Benedict (my dog) is just over 2 now and is big enough for them to run under his legs. When Emily (one of the house buns) started chewing his leg one day, he held it in the air and looked at me as if to say 'help me then'. He regularly (although not as often lately!!) has a chunk of fur taken from him because my one house buns is stroppy. He has never reacted to this ....he knows better!

As had been said every dog is so different. My son has two border terriers they are brothers born two years apart. One of them will watch a mouse walk past his paws and just look at it but whoa betide any other dog if he gets the chance whereas his younger brother will kill and eat anything that moves thats smaller than him! So this one would be deadly around cats rabbits etc but his brother would be fine.

We have a German Shepherd Dog and a housebun and they are great together., but I agree, each dog is different. Our GSD is fairly quiet and very respectful towards the rabbit. We used to have a cross collie spaniel and she too was great with our housebun. Hope you find what you are looking for.

i think we have pretty much decided that a whippet would be ideal (although no breed would be a no no so long as it would fit into our madhouse!!)
we dont think a yappy dog would be any good as hazel doesnt like even the sound of mugs being put away:roll:
my oh hasnt had a dog before so he needs to be trained as much as the dog:lol:

Back