• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

whats the cause of gustitus

Loppy2

Warren Scout
My bun Loppy died 1month ago of gustitus(if thats how you spell it) and i dont no the cause still.
i have been looking on the internet, however still not found anything:( please tell me...

Im wondering if it's gastritis you mean?
gastritis is severe imflamation of the mucusy linings of the stomach I think and caused by some form of bacteria, or mite infestation. I seem to remember reading that shock, stress, trauma can bring it on also.
I can go have a search for you if you want? Or, if you search gastritis yourself you might recognise the symptoms, and know quicker if thats what your bunny had/the name of the condition that the vet gave you.
Im sorry you lost your lovely bun, I'd be the same, wanting answers.
Hope this helps get you on the right path x

well i dont no the exact name because im only young
but it was something to do with his stomach where he was not pooping nor weeing or eating or drinking...:(
he wasnt moving much :'(
tomorrow will be a month since he died :'(

4.09.10 to 5.03.12
miss you millons <3
rest in peace mmy baby xxx

Its so hard when they go, I would be the same, wanting answers and to understand.

I wrote on your other thread a little about gut stasis, which is where the gut stops moving and they stop eating & pooing and the gut slows right down. They become lethargic and don't want to move, just like you said. So sorry.

well i dont no the exact name because im only young
but it was something to do with his stomach where he was not pooping nor weeing or eating or drinking...:(
he wasnt moving much :'(
tomorrow will be a month since he died :'(

4.09.10 to 5.03.12
miss you millons <3
rest in peace mmy baby xxx

Im so sorry, its awfully hard when one of our beloved bunnies die, chatting on this forum will probably help you, because we all understand how sad it can make you.

It's Gut Stasis from the extra info you have given, and if you have a look at your other post, Helgalush has explained it very well.
Here's the link, click on this and it will take you right over to where helga has posted.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?336978-What-is-the-cause-of-Gutsitus

So sorry for your loss. I think it's gut stasis you mean. Sadly it is common and can be very hard to treat. You can read up on other threads to see the struggles other members have been through with their rabbits and learn how they have treated it. But so many have not been able to. :(

Back