• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

sorry

Cute pictures :love:

Please be careful though, there is a lot of people on here who wouldn't recommend bathing rabbits at all since it can be very stressful for them and it means they cannot regulate their heat properly...

Cute pictures :love:

Please be careful though, there is a lot of people on here who wouldn't recommend bathing rabbits at all since it can be very stressful for them and it means they cannot regulate their heat properly...[/QUOTE]

This

Can I ask why you needed to bathe your rabbits? It shouldn't be necessary at all and if they do need cleaning, then surface cleaning (holding and washing under running water or from a basin would be recommended). This is not something that a rabbit will enjoy at all :( Ultimately if you rabbits are dirty, then you should endeavour to find out the reason and correct it rather than having to wash them.

Ok firstly, don't turn this thread sour and secondly, can members give the OP information as to why it is not a good idea to bath rabbits.....

They may not know that bathing rabbits is not recommended

Thanks

Ok firstly, don't turn this thread sour and secondly, can members give the OP information as to why it is not a good idea to bath rabbits.....

Thanks

Sorry.

I think The Duchess has already done this :wave:

Thanks

Well said. :thumb:

Helpful advice that's what we like on RU.

Thanks

Okay

Well rabbits do not swim (as far as I am aware) and would be terrified of being in water. This would cause stress. Stress can cause problems in bunnies and so should be avoided.

And it shouldn't be necessary.

Sorry.

I think The Duchess has already done this :wave:

It's no problem Jen we posted at the same time :wave:

Jen can you add any knowledge for the OP? As I know you do rescue work or hopefully Jill may see this?

Thank you helen too x

As others have mentioned it isn't recommended to bath a rabbit, it is dangerous because rabbits find it stressful and it could cause them to panic and injure themselves or go into shock. Also soaps and shampoo's could irritate the skin and cause infection, but not sure if you used any. Water in the ears could lead to infection too I believe. Bunnies fur also may take a while to dry and they could get cold and not be able to regulate their tempertaure properly I'm afraid.

Did they have anything like mucky bottoms? As if needed you could just bathe the area with water so no other parts of the bunny get wet and will limit the dangers of full bathing. Hope you don't think I'm getting at you, I wouldn't have known this until reading about it on here and researching it. :wave:

It's no problem Jen we posted at the same time :wave:

Jen can you add any knowledge for the OP? As I know you do rescue work or hopefully Jill may see this?

Thank you helen too x

I can't really add to what has already been said. Both The Duchess and Liz47 make very good points :thumb:

If your rabbit has a dirty bottom or smells then it's best to find out the source of the problem i.e. visit a rabbit savvy vet & ask for advice on here :wave:

I have to be honest and say that I find the first picture rather distressing.

As others have said, the only time it should be necessary to bathe a rabbit would be if they had a pooey bottom. Even then, you would only carefully wash their back end.

Please don't bathe your rabbits in this way again.

ETA ... See Janes comprehensive response below for the reasons why it's a bad idea to fully bathe your rabbits.

Last edited:
Whilst it is not a 'bad' thing for you to want to keep your Bunnies clean there are reasons as to why a full bath is not really a very good idea, except in exceptional circumstances and on Veterinary advice.

Rabbits can have problems regulating their body temperature. So by giving them a full bath they are at risk of becoming chilled. This can cause changes within their body resulting in a drop in their blood pressure and this in turn can cause lots of other quite serious problems for them.

As others have mentioned, Rabbits may well find the bathing stressful. In Rabbits stress also causes changes within their body and how it 'works', their tums can stop moving things through as a direct result of stress.

Should they accidently inhale water it could go onto their lungs and cause something called 'Aspiration Pneumonia'

You obviously did not intend to put your Buns at risk and you were no doubt unaware of the significant risks of bathing them. But I really would not do it again. Instead groom them with a suitable brush. You could do this every day and check that all their under-carriage is nice and clean too. If it is not and they frequently get a mucky bum then that would indicate a potential health problem, maybe relating to their diet or possibly their teeth. So if they do get frequent mucky bums you need to take them to your Vet to seek advice as to why it may be happening.

Oh and Rabbits can swim, but they would rather not have to. Not unlike myself really !!

i was there when kt123lea bathed them and they were fine trust me they didn't jump out or show any kind of stress or harm so i think she would be ok to bath them just not so often (she only baths them if they are to muddy from the run and they have only been muddy twice once last year and today. Please dont be so scared about the heat of the water cos i made it not to cold and not to hot, cos i have had 14 rabbits in my life time as i could remember so i no the right temp for rabbits to have a bath in)

i was there when kt123lea bathed them and they were fine trust me they didn't jump out or show any kind of stress or harm so i think she would be ok to bath them just not so often (she only baths them if they are to muddy from the run and they have only been muddy twice once last year and today. Please dont be so scared about the heat of the water cos i made it not to cold and not to hot, cos i have had 14 rabbits in my life time as i could remember so i no the right temp for rabbits to have a bath in)

Rabbits are prey animals and so hide their fear/pain/distress.

If they have muddy feet from being outside they can be gently wiped with a soft damp towel. There really is no need to immerse a rabbit in water and doing so presents a high risk of problems. There is no need to take this risk.

There is no 'right' bath temperature for a rabbit. They shouldn't be bathed.

Hi Evie what the people are trying to tell you is that bunnys don't need to be bathed they clean themselves they might not be stressed while you are bathing them but it might be later and they can't regulate there body temperature a nice brush would be more nicer for them 

It is not the temperature of the water that is the issue (we are assuming that you do not put them in either hot or cold water) but the fact that they rely on their fur to keep them warm. Once the fur is wet they cannot regulate their temperature. i bit like you washing your hair, leaving it wet and then going outside on a cold day. Bunny fur stays wet for LONG after you think it is dry . . . hours usually even with towel drying and hair dryers - the latter ONLY to be done in emergency situations on a bunny that can stand it.

Bathing a rabbit is a very bad idea for all the reasons given above and should not necessary except in exceptional circumstances.

Back