• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

can the otoscope (?) damage teeth?

ElsasMummy

Warren Scout
So Elsa was absolutely fine yesterday, happiest she's been in ages in fact, no chewing air at all which she had been doing since her dental symptoms came about last August (shes had 4 dentals since then.) Had her booked in for a dental yesterday as routine but decided she didn't need it as she's been so bright. Vet had a good check with the otoscope (spelling??) which elsa chomped down on a lot as usual. Lo and behold this morning I go out to see her and shes chewing air, grinding her teeth and refusing food. Could the dental check have damaged her teeth? Should I be concerned or give her teeth some time to settle down after the check. I'm so MAD at myself, never should have taken her in when she was so bright anyway :(

The speculum may have caught her gums, cheeks or tongue. If she has some inflammation in her gums anyway then this may have been aggravated. She may even have bitten her tongue whilst trying to chomp the speculum out of her mouth. Has she had any pain relief today ?

Thank you, I do think somethig has aggravated her, I'm just hoping it calms down after today. have just given 05ml of metacam (dog)

I'm just so disapointed that she seems uncomfortable again, had been so long since I'd seen any dental symptoms, I'm hoping more than anything that I can come back on here tomorrow and report that she's fine again :(

I had the exact same thing happen to Fiver a few months ago. The day after he had his teeth checked he stopped eating, was acting in pain and stopped pooing. Took him back and he was given pain killers and gut stimulants and he started pooing a few hours later and was back to normal after a couple of days. I presumed that this happened because the the scope had aggravated his mouth or that he was stressed from seeing the vet. He was fine on the evening afterwards though, which is why I wasn't sure if stress would be a cause. I changed vets because I was unhappy with the care he got after a dental and he had his teeth checked the other day and was perfectly ok afterwards so I think the other vet may have been a bit rough maybe?

I'm only sharing my experience and I hope your bun will be ok!

Yes I think I have come to the conclusion that it was the dental check that caused the poorly mouth/ not eating. Thankfully I've just returned from work to find Elsa has munched all the pellets and veg left out to tempt her and is now tucking into more whilst looking much brighter . I'll keep an eye on her tomorrow, so relieved that she's herself again. She was VERY stressed at the vets this time, she was actually mouth breathing which really concerne me. Thanks again for the help/shared experiences ladies :) x

Ah yes seems like she was very stressed out, obviously you don't like eating when your stressed out and so her guts may have slowed a little and made her feel even worse. Sounds like she got over it anyway! Hope she stays happy and she won't need another dental any time soon! :thumb:

Back