• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pro-biotics / Best way to administer and which one?

cara

Alpha Buck
As an aside to my Thread on Sweep, can anyone please advise as per the title?

Thanks ever so much, Cara

My bunnies like all probiotics so I dont have a problem administering any!

Fibreplex is good as it is a paste in a syringe. The Protexin Pro Fibre pellets are good too as bunnies usually go mad for them!

I use bio lapsis and put in a syringe and feed George or put in his water bowl as he wont touh the pro fibre pellets but my other rabbit peppa loves them :)

There are various probiotics! generally there are those that you can add to water like Pro-C Probiotic which is a general one for frequent use. Avipro Plus which can be used in water during periods of stress and illness as it also has electrolytes and vitamins. And Bio-lapis which is actually designed for bunnies and also has added vitamins. Fiberplex is a good choice for bunnys that are poorly and not eating as it is a paste and easily syringed it contains high fiber as well as pre and probiotics, it comes in a syringe and is easily administered. Protexin the company who make Fibreplex and Bio-lapis also make pro-fiber pellets as a food supplement, which are also high fiber and have probiotic. If your bunny has malformed cecotrophs its probably better to use Fiberplex as that doesnt appear to contain the added ingredients of beet pulp and wheat feed that is in the pellets, which may aggravate the situation. So its take your pick depending on why your bunny needs them!

Thank you. I now have Fibreplex.

Sweep is looking very sad and withdrawn at the moment. It's not looking good .....

Back