• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits Wrong injection. Confused and need advice.

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi well last night we took three of our rabbits for thier myxo injections (we would have asked about the new myxo-VHD one but they all had thier VHD injections in september so they wouldn't need the double injection until september this year). Anyway tonight we take our remaining four rabbits for thier myxo injections. did ask to make it clear that it wasn't the new one and the vet says it is just myxo. Well a few things were odd. She told us it was a new myxo injection that only needs to be done once a year. Also the computer at reception when paying gave the bill as over £150 instead of around £90 which the receptionists said wasn't right so they corrected it for us. We thought at the time it was just a mistake in what she typed up. But when we got home in thier little books with thier injection records, the little stickers they put in from the vials of the injection all four had Myxo-RHD whereas last night all three had the normal Myxo stickers. So now i am confused, when we asked if it was just myxo and not both she said yes but then the 1 year thing she said and the other things all point to it being the double one. If she has given the double one i am worried, could the double VHD dosage be harmful to them? Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I don't think it's harmful, but it might be best to check with the vet. One that knows about rabbits if you have one.

Shouldn't cause any harm to have a second jab, even if it was two of the standard VHD jabs it wouldn't have caused an issue. I would bring it up with the vets though because if you ask your vet questions you should expect to get accurate information and you need to know whether you need to repeat the VHD.

hi my davie had two doses of the vhd injection within two weeks of each last sept the second was supposed to be myxo anyway she had the myxo two weeks after that but she went completely bald round the neck and was really sore and itchy i found a new vet to take her to and they deffinatly think it was a reaction to the vaccine they just dont no which one:( which has put me of taking her back for boosters as she is still bald on the neck

Back