• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Julie is stressed. Any ideas to help calm her?

bunnytoes

Warren Veteran
There was a tornado warning. The Emergency sirens went off and and the town's emergency system called us. It said to get into the lowest floor room in the middle of the house. I put Raul(bird) in the bath tub in his cage and Julie free in the bathroom. She was asleep when I grabbed her. She hid behind the toilet and thumped. I petted her and feed her to try and calm her. I had her bed in there with her. The warning is over but it is still storming with a lot of rumbling and thunder. She is back in the kitchen but acting all nervous.

There was a tornado warning. The Emergency sirens went off and and the town's emergency system called us. It said to get into the lowest floor room in the middle of the house. I put Raul(bird) in the bath tub in his cage and Julie free in the bathroom. She was asleep when I grabbed her. She hid behind the toilet and thumped. I petted her and feed her to try and calm her. I had her bed in there with her. The warning is over but it is still storming with a lot of rumbling and thunder. She is back in the kitchen but acting all nervous.

Gosh, that is so hard. I never thought about where the pets go when you get those sorts of warnings. No wonder she is spooked.

Would you be able to make her a cardboard box den that she could hide in and be cosy in till she wants to come out and has calmed down? It is so hard trying to calm a stressed bun, especially because they stop eating which makes us so worried.

Try as hard as you can to act completely as normal. Dont attempt to fuss her more than you usually would or do anything different from your usual routine. Dont even look at her all the time. Just go about things as if nothing out of the ordinary has happened/is happening. Not easy I am sure, but she will hopefully follow your lead and the calmer and more 'its just normal day' you are the more likely it is that she will start to relax too.

The warning are over so she is back in her domain. She has her 2 hiding places to go but she is either sitting straight up ears up in alert position or running around. The rain is noisy on the sky light in the kitchen but I hate to move her again. It is thundering pretty loud bangs. I think the fact that I was stressed and had moved her and the loud thunder is stressing her. Should I have the light on or off? It is dark with out the light because of the storm.

The warning are over so she is back in her domain. She has her 2 hiding places to go but she is either sitting straight up ears up in alert position or running around. The rain is noisy on the sky light in the kitchen but I hate to move her again. It is thundering pretty loud bangs. I think the fact that I was stressed and had moved her and the loud thunder is stressing her. Should I have the light on or off? It is dark with out the light because of the storm.

If the light would normally be on then leave it on. Just try to do absolutely everything as you usually would xx

Try as hard as you can to act completely as normal. Dont attempt to fuss her more than you usually would or do anything different from your usual routine. Dont even look at her all the time. Just go about things as if nothing out of the ordinary has happened/is happening. Not easy I am sure, but she will hopefully follow your lead and the calmer and more 'its just normal day' you are the more likely it is that she will start to relax too.

Thanks. Okay I will stay out of the kitchen. Should I put the light on though? It normally would be light at this time of day. I have it off. I was thinking that is best? I have the light on in Raul's part of the house as the loud thunder scares him if it is dark. If it is light he plays and ignores it. He is a bird though.

Sending calming vibes for Julie. Is your bird doing OK? xxx

Thanks Susie bun. Raul (bird) seems to only be scared of thunder when is dark. I have a bright light on and he is playing. I no longer cover him at night as he would fly into the sides of his cage when it storms. So I keep the blinds open at night so the street light shins in. I have half his cage covered so he can go to the covered part to sleep.

How worrying. I hope she starts to calm down soon.
Isn't echinacea good for nerves? I wonder if you could give a her a drop or two on a treat?

:shock: How scary, i'm glad she's back to normal now. i heard about there being tornados, in texas i think, today.

There was quite a bit of damage. some homes destroyed and a wing ripped off a nursing home. We were listening to the news during the storm to see where it was heading. It looked like it was heading right towards us. It was on both sides of our town but went around us. We were lucky. They said it hit this one neighborhood destroyed the homes and people were running around seeking shelter because another was headed their way. Scary. Last year we had a twister skip through our neighborhood. It wrecked roofs of homes and ripped trees out of the ground here and there. One house was affected and the next was not. We were fine but the next door house fenced was down. We didn't have power for a few days though. That storm was fast. I was in the shower when it happened and only knew as it went pitch black when the power went off.

Back