• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Show us your snail pics!

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
A thread to share pics of your GALS and their stories :)

Etana

snailsnewtank3.jpg

Escargot

snailsnewtank4.jpg

snailsnewtank5.jpg

Can't remember who this is! :oops:

3f646a44-7cda-4ae9-bc85-beb904f0c60d.jpg

7a02ac6e-2237-4bb5-ae8d-b38add3695ff.jpg

:wave:

DSC06229.jpg

DSC06237.jpg

DSC06255.jpg

This is one of my friends' "kissing" Gary. She isn't actually kissing him, the angle just looks it :lol: I love them but I wouldn't kiss them!

These were my 3 original Retics, unfortunately I only have 1 left now and I really miss them :(. I love snails and I think I will always own at least a couple :love:

This is my first ever snail, Hyacinth :) I rescued her in 2002, when she was just the size of my little finger nail - now shes 32cm long when shes fully outstretched! :lol: She'll be 10 years old in November :)

Hyacinth.jpg

This is Hyacinth enjoying her favourite treat - an organic strawberry :D

Hyacinth2.jpg

This is Hennery who I rescued seven years ago :D

Hennery.jpg

This is a group of snails I rescued a couple of years ago who have since gone to a lovely new home. This is how they were being kept when I collected them (the woman literally opened the door, threw the tank at me and slammed the door in my face, it was a miracle I didn't drop them!)

rescuedsnails1.jpg

They all had horrendous shell damage and had been canibalising each others shells due to being kept without any access to calcium :( This is them enjoying their first proper meal :D

Rescuedsnails.jpg

At the moment I also have three who are just coming up to two years old but who have terribly stunted growth and so have only reached 6cm in shell length :( and Pumpkin, who came to me most recently after his owners put him in the freezer for 8 hours to try and kill him :cry: They're all doing really well now though and Pumpkin is even going to his new forever home next weekend :D

Depends what species you get regarding the size they can grow :)

HarryRabbit, you are amazing for rescuing all those snails! Those 3 you rescued were in awful conditions! Poor things :cry: I'm glad you rescued them, most people would just let them go in the "wild" :cry:

Hyacinth is so pretty! His/her shell is such an unusual colour! What type is she/he?

He's Huuuuge! How big do they grow?

I don't know how big they grow, I believe it varies and depends on things such as what varity they are etc but I was suprised at the size!

Thankyou everyone and great pics :love::D

Vegan bunny love the 'kissing' photo! :D

:love::love::love:

I didn't even know there were people who rescued snails :oops: I guess it's like any other pet. I can't believe someone would put one in a fridge :evil:

I will have two new additions next week who I can add on here! We're getting 2 9 month old snails who we are naming Yoshi and Koopa. So excited!!

Last edited:
Hyacinth is so pretty! His/her shell is such an unusual colour! What type is she/he?

Shes A. Fulica but shes always eaten really well and I think because shes so unfussy about food and will eat a really varied diet that this has influenced the colours of her shell :D Most of the snails I've cared for haven't tended to eat as many different foods as she does

They're all so lovely!!! I absolutely love snails. They're such lovely little pets.

Here's my first snail Bob. I rescued him from an animal care college. I loved him so much! :love:
2007_0504pic0014-1.jpg

The Beautiful and very imaginatively named 'Snail' :love: (RIP)
snail004-1-1.jpg

This is her as a baby :)
Pics002-1.jpg

Monty (My Albino Marginata) in his set-up (I wish I could find a better close up of him!)
Photo-0153-1.jpg

And last but not least Sergio, Rescued from someone who was over breeding them so he has a little bit of shell damage.
sergandsi002-1.jpg

Awww I really wish my snails were doing well..Gary has gone back to retracting and refusing to eat again :cry: I'd have an amazing set up but I took everything when they started getting ill. I really wish I could get some interesting snails, Jades and whatnot but I daren't with Gary so ill.

All your snails are beautiful! :love:

I've always wanted these, they had a couple at my school :love:

I've always wondered though, can you stop them breeding? I've always been put off because I dont know what I would do with the babies!

I've always wanted these, they had a couple at my school :love:

I've always wondered though, can you stop them breeding? I've always been put off because I dont know what I would do with the babies!

its a matter of being vigilant and hard hearted, when they lay eggs scoop them out and freeze them its the most humane way.

111014-170733.jpg

This is Gee :wave: My friend needed to find him a new home as her mum wouldn't let her keep him. Ended up taking him on a hour bus ride and a 20 min walk home. Got some pretty weird looks :lol:

Awww I really wish my snails were doing well..Gary has gone back to retracting and refusing to eat again :cry:

Just a thought, have you looked on the petSnails forum. They can have some good ideas that can perk up a poorly snail. My Sergio tends to close himself up and not eat so I know what you're going through. I give him a warm bath every day and it really perks him up. After his bath I pop him on either some baby food or porridge oats mixed with water. He noms these down in an instant. Also giving them fresh soil seems to really perk them up!

I really hope Gary feels better soon :wave:

Back