• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help - wet face, slight tilt...treating for EC update post 30 x

o-Chloe-o

Mama Doe
update - its getting worse, he is sitting with his head to one side......:( please help

Domino keeps dipping his face in his water bowl, he is drinking but also making his face wet - almost like its deliberate as normally he hates getting his face wet. Anyway we first noticed it yesterday, Jessie was going to the vets anyway so we took him along and the vet gave him a check, looked at his teeth etc and said there didnt appear to be anything wrong... Anyway he is doing it again today. For example currently he is sitting over the water bowl with half of his face soaking (even though i took him out 30 mins ago and dried his face up for him ) and leaning very slightly to that side - with one ear flopped over...

Is this weird? Seems weird to me? Normally he hates getting his chin wet and drinks from the bowl very cautiously, I have given him a bottle too.

I was worried about head tilt because of the leaning thing but hes not leaning permanently or anything, is this just an odd quirk? Vet didnt seem concerned at all so maybe im just over-reacting. I have checked him over thoroughly and given him a cuddle and just cant figure it out. he is acting strangely... he is eating but normally he goes crazy for it and now he nibbles but not that bothered... what could it be??? x

Last edited:
Hi thanks she did check his ears and mentioned ec but didn't want to give him anything as he acted totally normal at the vets, he also acts normal for a bit then like now he is sitting in the corner, face to one side :,(

Also when he I running around his face is normal forward facing, it seems to be when he is sitting I just dried his face again as he had soaked it in the water bowl, again!! X

Can u video him doing it?
Then you can show the vet.
I certainly would be seeing a vet again ASAP.

Also move the water bowl when he is unsupervised in case he ends up with his head in it fully and cannot get up.

Yes my bf is going to take him tomorrow morning as I'm at work so can't myself, it's weird and so worrying :'( jessie has been I'll for about a month following a wounded ear an had her last injection today, just wen I thought I could stop worrying this happens with Dom :'( just removed the bowls, does anyone have any clue what this cud be? :(

Last edited:
Possible EC or inner ear infection? Maybe a dental problem?
To be honest I think he needs a thorough examination carried out by rabbit savvy vet.
Take video footage of him and anything you think that might be replace my write it down and get your partner to give it to the vet.
I have a bunny with possible ec or ear infection nd his tilt never started till 2 days after he was seen by the vet. He showed hind leg weakness and a lack of appetite first and thats why he was at the vet.Now he has quite a severe head tilt and it basically happened over night.

Just make him comfortable an monitor him over night.
Don't worry about not being able to be at the vet. Sme thing happened To me and I sent my hubby with 2 A4 bits of paper containing George's behaviours, food and water intake and questions I wanted answering and then I called and spoke to the vet. I think they thought I was crazy.

Whatever it is, his head is definitely tilting just had him on the carpet for a bit and when I stroke his face his whole head leant into my hand sideways, he won't eat now either :'(

I would take him back to the vet.

He could have an inner ear infection that the vet can't see, or EC. Either way the vet could easily give you meds for both.

If you are concerned about his appetite then he needs to see a vet ASAP.
Have you tried tempting him with his fave food/treats?
what time is the vet appointnment tomorrow?

Haven't been able to call and make appointment but will get him in there ASAP this morning. He is no better today still head tilting to the side :'( doesn't want to eat I have offered him all sorts of treats he normally rips them out of my hand :(

Haven't been able to call and make appointment but will get him in there ASAP this morning. He is no better today still head tilting to the side :'( doesn't want to eat I have offered him all sorts of treats he normally rips them out of my hand :(

Don't delay, he needs a vet urgently.

Sending vibes!

Appt at 920 bf is taking him, will update as soon as I hear :( it's not our usual vet either which is annoying she isn't there today :( xx

Appt at 920 bf is taking him, will update as soon as I hear :( it's not our usual vet either which is annoying she isn't there today :( xx

Hopefully the Vet will get him onto treatment that will make him feel more comfortable

Do make sure that he is prescribed ongoing pain relief

Hope your vet appointment goes well.
Also agree with pain relief....its a must as a bunny in pain will not want to eat....this can be an indication of pain.
Maybe get your partner to also ask for some meds to get his gut moving and stimulate his appetite.

Sending lots of luck and vibes your way.

Ok spoken with my bf. They have taken Domino in and will be doing a blood test to determine whether its EC. they will start the treatment today, when I said to him what treatment, he didnt seem to know exactly what so I guess Ill need to ring the vet later and ask myself.

She said to expect it to get much worse before it gets better (the tilt). :( xx

Ok spoken with my bf. They have taken Domino in and will be doing a blood test to determine whether its EC. they will start the treatment today, when I said to him what treatment, he didnt seem to know exactly what so I guess Ill need to ring the vet later and ask myself.

She said to expect it to get much worse before it gets better (the tilt). :( xx

I wouldn't bother about the blood test for EC as they are not the most reliable. If it were me I would just treat for EC and save myself the money on the blood tests.

It might get worse, it can be really bad :(

Treatment should be panacur and metacam, then antibiotics in case of an ear infection.

Thanks I'm going to call the vet in a minute I got insurance for both of them when Jessie got ill so hopefully the money won't be a worry there is an excess of £75 so hopefully that will be all I'll pay xxx

Thanks I'm going to call the vet in a minute I got insurance for both of them when Jessie got ill so hopefully the money won't be a worry there is an excess of £75 so hopefully that will be all I'll pay xxx

Yeah, insurance will cover it all in that case so not such a worry.

Give the vet a wee call and speak to the vet About a treatment plan.
As for the ec test I agree with kermit, thy are not reliable and if anything taking blood will stress your little bunny out even more....that was why George wasn't tested.

It will probably get worse before it gets better an my George has a permanent head tilt. However he is a happy bunny 7 weeks on. So your bunny can recover if given appropriate treatment ....don't be disheartened.
My bunny was treated for ec and an ear infection therefore all bases were covered.
Keep us updated. Vibes sent your way from us! :)

Back