• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looking for information on blindness in bunnies -

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
Can anyone recommend any articles or threads please on blindness in buns -? I can never seem to use the search on here :oops::oops:

Can you be a bit more specific

Do you mean the possible causes of blindness ?

Do you mean the special care a blind Rabbit may need ?

Hi Jane,
I 'rescued' a little bun 2 days ago (not posted about her yet) she has 2 white patches on her eyes (cataracts?) we visited the vet yesterday who said she was in great shape considering her background - she seems happy and spritely - I just want to learn more about her condition, get any advice etc so that I can do my best for her. There is a chance I might find out more about her background but previous owners are not saying much as yet. i think she was born that way and she is approx 4 - 6 months old and a cashmere lop

I have a blind rabbit if i can be of assistance?

Summer lost one eye to EC and is entirely blind in the remaining eye. She is also brain damaged due to EC. She is a happy wee soul, i cant say i have made any major changes for her, but she has two very caring bunny friends to help her out. I do make sure i speak more to her, if i wish to pick her up i say "pick up's" or "down we go" so she knows whats going to happen, and i rattle her food for her to come over for it. Apart from that, she just muddles about in her own wee Summer world.

Hi Jane,
I 'rescued' a little bun 2 days ago (not posted about her yet) she has 2 white patches on her eyes (cataracts?) we visited the vet yesterday who said she was in great shape considering her background - she seems happy and spritely - I just want to learn more about her condition, get any advice etc so that I can do my best for her. There is a chance I might find out more about her background but previous owners are not saying much as yet. i think she was born that way and she is approx 4 - 6 months old and a cashmere lop

I would suspect that EC may be a factor. This can cause lens rupture and cataract formation. Has your Vet mentioned this and is the Rabbit well quarantined from any others you may have ?

Sue, on Sat Hilda is going who has a blind bunny. I saw him running around the garden last week and you really would not know he was blind, he knew exactly where he was going. Really amazing. He is also deaf. I think it was EC related that caused his blindness.

Looking forward to Saturday :D:D Bunny chat all night :D:D

Jane, the vet checked her eyes, they are not infected or ulcerated - the white patches look 'cloudy' and are beneath the surface so apart from the colour her eyes look normal. Does that make any sense - sorry if i sound a bit thick :oops::oops: oh and I forgot to say she is inside and well away from all the others as they are outside

My bridge bunny Misty was blind also because of EC. She had one eye amputated and very severe cataracts in the other. She coped very well and it didn't seem to bother her that much. She found her way round by feeling with her whiskers and I made sure I spoke to her every time I went to stroke her so she wouldn't be shocked.

Wild buns spend a lot of their time in burrows underground so I guess they probably already come with the ability to move around in dark places.

I have a blind rabbit if i can be of assistance?

Summer lost one eye to EC and is entirely blind in the remaining eye. She is also brain damaged due to EC. She is a happy wee soul, i cant say i have made any major changes for her, but she has two very caring bunny friends to help her out. I do make sure i speak more to her, if i wish to pick her up i say "pick up's" or "down we go" so she knows whats going to happen, and i rattle her food for her to come over for it. Apart from that, she just muddles about in her own wee Summer world.

Summer looks 'squashy' and gorgeous like my Bramble. Thanks for your advice - if all goes well I would like to think I may be able to bond Sweetpea with some pals, but it's early days and I need to get to know her a lot more first x

Summer looks 'squashy' and gorgeous like my Bramble. Thanks for your advice - if all goes well I would like to think I may be able to bond Sweetpea with some pals, but it's early days and I need to get to know her a lot more first x

Do they look like this:

FHB_Lens_rupture_cataract_E_cuniculi.jpg

The image shows lens rupture and cataract due to EC infection.

One of Summer's lenses ruptured, but it was just a tiny white pinprick (much like the head of a spot but in her eye). The other eye did not rupture, so has not been removed.

I hope the bonding goes well, Summer still tries to hump Giles, despite her being such an "abnormal" little bunny. Summer is a proper snuggle bunny :love:

Back