• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mucus and Sneezing

Mollyrose

Warren Scout
My 14 week old Belgian is Sneezing and pooing out Mucus, and His Droppings are dark soft and wet. He's very happy in himself, his cage is cleaned regularly and there is no Dust about, he is Having Avipro, in his water. Dont know what else to Do :( Any suggestions?

Mucus in the poo is very serious and needs a vet immediately. :(
Sneezing could be treated easily with a course of antibiotics from the vets and unfortunately is not uncommon in young rabbits. If one rabbit gets it, it can spread quickly especially if your rabbit is from a pet shop or breeder.

But the poo is really worrying. He needs treatment right away or he could go downhill very quickly. Let us know how he gets on, sending lots of luck.

The only useful advice we can give is consult a Vet, this evening if possible.

Take a sample of the faeces with you

Good luck

He's from a Breeder. Wouldn't buy from a Petshop.
:/ He's Had the Mucus for a while now, for about a month or so, he hasn't gotten any worse. but then i don't really know what i should be looking for?.. his sneezing did clear up for a little bit, when he was on antibiotics. He seemed to be getting better so we gave him his Myxo Jab, but since then he's been getting worse, The Discharge from his nose used to be clear. now its White, But he's sneezing less frequently. our vet told us to worm him, So we are in the middle of that (started on Friday so have another five days to go) Unsure wether i should carry on with the Worming and see if that does anything before we go back to the vets. But im in a bit of a muddle because im going away on thursday till monday and am in a pickle what to do! i really dont want to leave him,

Do you know what the mucus is caused by? ... i had a young buck die a few months back from Muciod Enteritis when he was only ten months old, Hoping this isnt the same thing. I cant loose another one, this would be the third time. </3

He's from a Breeder. Wouldn't buy from a Petshop.
:/ He's Had the Mucus for a while now, for about a month or so, he hasn't gotten any worse. but then i don't really know what i should be looking for?.. his sneezing did clear up for a little bit, when he was on antibiotics. He seemed to be getting better so we gave him his Myxo Jab, but since then he's been getting worse, The Discharge from his nose used to be clear. now its White, But he's sneezing less frequently. our vet told us to worm him, So we are in the middle of that (started on Friday so have another five days to go) Unsure wether i should carry on with the Worming and see if that does anything before we go back to the vets. But im in a bit of a muddle because im going away on thursday till monday and am in a pickle what to do! i really dont want to leave him,

Do you know what the mucus is caused by? ... i had a young buck die a few months back from Muciod Enteritis when he was only ten months old, Hoping this isnt the same thing. I cant loose another one, this would be the third time. </3

Please get you Rabbit back to a Vet ASAP

The nasal discharge is likely to be due to a Respiratory Tract infection. This can become extremely serious, even fatal if it goes onto the lungs.

Given that you have already lost a Rabbit to an enteritis I am concerned that the mucus may be a warning sign that all is definitely not well with your Hare. Has she been tested for Coccidiosis ?

Okay will be trying to get him booked into the vets for tomorrow. He hasn't been tested for Coccidiosis, Can this be treated?

Been to the Vets, they gave him some liquids, and have sent off a sample of the Mucus to be tested. they have put him on an antibiotic, - Sulfamethoxazole - To treat Coccidia, and he is now on a High Fibre, diet + Yoghurt- to promote good bacteria. Fingers Crossed!

Been to the Vets, they gave him some liquids, and have sent off a sample of the Mucus to be tested. they have put him on an antibiotic, - Sulfamethoxazole - To treat Coccidia, and he is now on a High Fibre, diet + Yoghurt- to promote good bacteria. Fingers Crossed!

Personally I would not give Yoghurt. Rabbits are Lactose intolerant and it may make the gut problem worse.

To give a probiotic I would obtain some Fibreplex Paste, your Vet may stock it. Although perhaps not given the rather out-dated advice about using Yoghurt

You can buy Fibreplex online

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?ma...ult&search_in_description=1&keyword=fibreplex

Alternatively you can use a water soluble probiotic

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-suppl...o-lapis-sachet-for-rabbits-and-rodents-p-1175

Did the Vet explain the importance of quarantine if you have other Rabbits ? Coccidiosis is highly contagious so strict quarantine and barrier nursing are an absolute essential.

Chester Update!

Hello, Just thought i'd let you know how Chester was doing :) .. Chester has been diagnosed with Coccidiosis, and is being treated with Baycox (2days, then takes a 5 day break) and he has an Anitibiotic(Septrin), and a water soluble Probiotic, in the days between :) He's still a little Mucus'y.. but is getting better, longer periods where his dropping return to normal!
Yes very contagious!, so Our doe and Guineas are kept well away, Thankyou so much for all your helpful advice!, Very much appreciated! i wish you well with all your bunnies, &Hope you wont have to deal with Coccidia.

I'll keep you posted if anything changes! :)

Poor Chester :cry:

I hope he will respond to treatment and that your other Rabbits are unaffected. Coccidiosis is very nasty :cry:

Chester is Putting on Weight!, he is now 3kg :D ..
his Coccidia is Clearing up.. really slowly.. but surely, he has been on Baycox treatment every other five days for 2 & half months,

He is being Neutered next week, and soon to be paired with Rosie our Spayed Hare Doe.(Rosie has has been treated for Coccidia as a precautionary measure)
He sill isnt 100% (Droppings aren't quite right) but there is no Mucus, and Sneezing has Completely gone. so things are looking up! :) xx

Back