• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Red Wee?

Bellatrix18

Warren Scout
Hey, One of my buns (not sure who) keeps doing very bright rusty red pees. I know that it's common for buns wees to be red and I've always noticed a reddish/pinkish/orangish tint to some of their wees but these have been very bright and I've never seen any this dark/vibrant. At the moment they both seem very happy and healthy in themselves. I have some pee testing sticks that I've used for poorley pets in the past and as far as I can tell it said there was no blood in it (but the wee was so dark it discoloured the stick and was hard to read).

I took a photo of one of the pees and was wondering if people could let me know what they think. Is it normal or should I pop down to the vets??? :?

photos071.jpg

Have your bunnies eaten dandelions recently??
Or Carrots??
Both foods will stain the urine.....

as Yvette said different foods can affect the urine..dandelions, thistles, ect....but that does look very dark so may be worth gettign the vet to check it..if you get an appointment try to get a fresh sample of the wee to take with you
probably nothing to worry about but better safe than sorry

They have had quite a lot of both recently. Could it just be staining from food then. That would be such a relief.
I'll take them in to the vets just to be careful though. :?

Have your bunnies eaten dandelions recently??
Or Carrots??
Both foods will stain the urine.....

Thanks for the mention of dandelions, I had wondered what was doing it to Ori lately. Clearly too much nomming of dandelions whilst having "grassy fun"

Some types of apple sticks will also produce orange wee, but I've not seen as dark as in the picture so definitely get it checked out.

My buns often seem to have red / ornage wee... I see it when cleaning out the litter trays. When I firsdt had them last year I took them to be neutered etc and I asked the vet about the wee, she tried to do a test several times but they never had any liquid in their bladders!!! She said itwas most likely soemthing they'd eaten though and only to worry if I could actually see blood spots in their wee.

Back