• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

chopped straw with citronella

Not sure if this is the right section.
I have discovered that my tack shop sell chopped straw with citronella in plastic wrapped bales (might be called bedsoft I can't remember), I wondered if this would be safe to use in the bunnies litter tray.
My theory is the citronella coating on the chopped straw would help keep the flys away, but not sure if it would be ok to use.
I normally use a layer of megazorb with a layer of normal chopped straw from p@h.

What do people think?

I wouldnt as rabbits shouldnt have citrus fruits, i think something to do with toxicity, but ic ould be wrong. Certainly wouldn't do it myself. :wave:

I wouldnt as rabbits shouldnt have citrus fruits, i think something to do with toxicity, but ic ould be wrong. Certainly wouldn't do it myself. :wave:

Thanks Graham, I thought there would be a sensible answer....I think I will contiue to just spray citronella around their house out of their reach :)

thats what I thought too..dont think it would be good for the buns to have access to anything citronella...I know some people put citronella onto cottonwool and hook/nail it up high on the hutches to keep flies away...away from bunnies though;)

Back