PDA

View Full Version : E. Cuniculi in a pregnant doe

alio71
03-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Anyone any idea of the likely outcome for the babies? :cry:

Jack's-Jane
03-04-2012, 03:38 PM
They are almost certain to be effected. Most likely would be their eyes-lens rupture, uveitis, cataracts. But they might be lucky and get away with just having an immune response to exposure to the parasite and not become clinically unwell. Over 50% of Pet Rabbits will be in this position, most having been exposed to EC at birth.

alio71
03-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Thanks Jane, so it's more a case of waiting to see if any symptoms develop as they grow?

Jack's-Jane
03-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Thanks Jane, so it's more a case of waiting to see if any symptoms develop as they grow?

I would consult with a Vet and seek advice re giving them a course of Fenbendazole at an appropriate age. But apart from that or terminating the pregnancy there is not much more that could be done.

What symptoms does the Doe have. Will she be well enough to support a pregnancy to full term and to give birth ? Then there will be 6-8 weeks of feeding the kits.

Stator
03-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Can panacur etc treat the parasites in the eye ball?

Jack's-Jane
03-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Can panacur etc treat the parasites in the eye ball?

No, Panacur does not 'treat' the effected organ/tissue. It eliminates the spores from the bloodstream. Once any symptoms of EC present the parasite itself will already have been excreted. The use of Panacur is to try to reduce the amount of spores that the parasite will have shed whilst in the bloodstream. These spores are what can go on to cause the damage.

alio71
03-04-2012, 04:25 PM
As far as I know weakness around the back limbs. I will know more later. :(

Jack's-Jane
03-04-2012, 04:28 PM
As far as I know weakness around the back limbs. I will know more later. :(

Well it may not even be EC. She could have a spinal injury which occurred when she was mated up. Poor Bunny :cry:

alio71
03-04-2012, 04:30 PM
I just hope they will let me take her :cry: