• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Herbal Essences re: Animal Testing

Ozbun

Warren Scout
I've been trying to make sure that everything I buy is cruelty free- which isn't as easy as it sounds.

I thought I was doing ok with that but I discovered some of the brands I thought were ok are not good. I'm weeding out bad beauty products at the moment. I'd like to encourage people to avoid Herbal Essences products. Lovely name, sounds organic... but they allegedly do some pretty sadistic animal testing :(. Details are online if you want to google them- I'm not posting it here.

Also Body Shop are now owned by L'Oreal who are not cruelty free either. Superdrug & Co-op own brands are cruelty free. I use Superdrug Vitamin E range moisturisers & they do better than a lot of posh brands( I don't work for them by the way!!! :D) Barry M don't test on animals.

Does anyone know of a cruelty free volumising hair mousse? That's my next mission. :thumb:

It's really horrible. I've always been conscious of this but I'm surprised at how many products I thought were ok do test on animals. There is a question mark over Ecover too... I need to research more on that. There are some nasty people around. :evil:

The BUAV is good but they only have it in the small print about parent companies that test - ie they still include Body Shop and Liz Earle even though their parent companies test.

Naturewatch do a really comprehensive guide which you can buy for around £3 from their website, its great, it lists loads that are cruelty-free.

Paul Mitchell hair products are BUAV approved so you might find he has a volumising mousse?

The BUAV is good but they only have it in the small print about parent companies that test - ie they still include Body Shop and Liz Earle even though their parent companies test.

Naturewatch do a really comprehensive guide which you can buy for around £3 from their website, its great, it lists loads that are cruelty-free.
Paul Mitchell hair products are BUAV approved so you might find he has a volumising mousse?

:thumb: This is what I use, totally agree. I haven't found it difficult to buy cruelty-free to be honest, bit then I don't tend to buy a lot of branded products. I buy a lot of own-label household and toiletry products from Tesco who are approved by Naturewatch.

Phil Smith hair care is cruelty-free, they stock it at Sainsbury's. Its not a mousse, but the range includes a volumising spray in a pink bottle (might be called Xtreme volumising.....) and its really good!

Thanks for all the info, that's great! I didn't know about Paul Mitchell & Phil Smith stuff. It's not difficult once you know what you're looking for but I must admit, when you try to fill other criteria such as eco-friendliness, it doesn't always mean not tested on animals which is ridiculous.

I also didn't know that Jasons did hair stuff. I use herbal deodorant & talc-free talc anyway & Faith in Nature shampoos. This is very good info, thanks! :thumb:

Thanks for all the info, that's great! I didn't know about Paul Mitchell & Phil Smith stuff. It's not difficult once you know what you're looking for but I must admit, when you try to fill other criteria such as eco-friendliness, it doesn't always mean not tested on animals which is ridiculous.

I also didn't know that Jasons did hair stuff. I use herbal deodorant & talc-free talc anyway & Faith in Nature shampoos. This is very good info, thanks! :thumb:

Thats very true. I think the Uncaged website says to avoid Ecover for this reason (better go check....yep, they have Ecover on the "Boycott" list). Method is BUAV approved though.

Back