• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet nose & small ammount of discharge

Sophie123

New Kit
Hi, I'm new :)

I have two rabbits, Lola and Darwin, they are roughly 3 years old and brother and sister.

Last Thursday when I went to give Darwin some cuddles I noticed he had a wet nose and a small ammount of white discharge around his nose. I had to go to work, and when I came back there was no discharge. Although absolutly fine in himself, eating everything, pooping, playing, destroying his cardborad boxes I booked him in at the vets. On Friday mornig I took him to the vets, they said that they didn't think it was the snuffles but a small resportiary infection. They prescribed him bisolvon (sp?) in a powder form, half a teaspoon in water per day. He seemed absolutly fine after a day of that.

Since then he and Lola have been fine, I have noticed they get more sleep dust in thier eyes, but they are going through a MAJOR molt, I'm quite confident the extra eye discharge is being caused by them getting hair in thier eyes (there is hair in the sleepy dust).

Yesterday Lola and Darwin went for thier mxy jabs and had a check up. Vet said they are absolutly fine. She listen to thier chest and weighed them etc. She also advised me to stop the medicine for Darwin. So I did.

Today I have seen Darwin and he has a wet nose and small ammount of discharge around his nose again!! What shall I do, put him back on the powder stuff, or just see how he goes today?
Could it be the mxy jab that has made him poorley again? Or is it the lack of medication? Or could it be the moulting irritating him? Although they live outsied they come in every evening and I have been getting itchy eyes!!

Thank you :) xx

Last edited:
If it were me I'd call the vets for some advice. Chances are they would want to see him again but sometimes better to be safe than sorry. Hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon to give some advice, if not maybe try asking Sky-o she seems to know more about buns than some vets we've seen.

He may need stronger medication to get rid of the respiratory infection forever.
I doubt it's the moult causing him to sneeze. However you can help by grooming him once or twice a day or simpy wetting your hands and stroking them down in the opposite direction of their heads.
The myxi jab slightly weaken the immune system. So whilst the immune system was fighting off the infection it has to also fight off the jab and create anti bodies against the disease.

I'd call your vet and ask for their advice.

Back