• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at Home adoption

CwningenBach

Warren Scout
Hello,

We took Mrs Hudson back to the vets this morning for her cremation. We will have her back in a week or so. Numb. Utterly numb. However, I may as well use this numbness for something useful - we will of course have to get a new rabbit for Sherlock. I am pretty much dead certain that we will only get a rabbit that is a rescue/adoption one as I will not put another rabbit through anaesthetic for a non-essential operation again.

Do Pets at Home adoption neuter/spay rabbits as a matter of course like rescues do? Sherlock is approximately 6-7 months old. Will a rescue/adoption bunny who may be a bit older try to "bully" Sherlock? We aren't getting one just yet but we know we have to soon.

Stuart

Hello,

We took Mrs Hudson back to the vets this morning for her cremation. We will have her back in a week or so. Numb. Utterly numb. However, I may as well use this numbness for something useful - we will of course have to get a new rabbit for Sherlock. I am pretty much dead certain that we will only get a rabbit that is a rescue/adoption one as I will not put another rabbit through anaesthetic for a non-essential operation again.

Do Pets at Home adoption neuter/spay rabbits as a matter of course like rescues do? Sherlock is approximately 6-7 months old. Will a rescue/adoption bunny who may be a bit older try to "bully" Sherlock? We aren't getting one just yet but we know we have to soon.

Stuart

Nope.

Ages aren't necessarily important. Personality is. You're best bet is to speak to your local rescue(s) and see if you can date him, to see if her gets on with another bunny. It often works out better if they can choose their friends.

Other rescues on RU will rehome nationally, such as BARC, HoneyBunnies and a few others. So worth thinking about.

Hello,

Stuart

Not necessarily. It depends on the bunny in question. If the bunny is dumped / came to them too young then no, if the bunny was dumped/came to them and wasalready neutered then 'technically' you'd get a neutered neutered, but P@H don't actually go out and neuter the buns..so um no.

Age is just a number, a younger bully can easily bully. All bunnies are different and that's what makes them so wonderful x

If you have a rescue locally, they will probably be able to 'date' Sherlock for you, and perhaps even do the bonding. As Graham says, it is best to choose a bunny with a personality that suits Sherlock - this should end up making life easier for everyone.

Thinking of you - it must be hard to be thinking of another bunny so soon, but most bunnies will want and accept a new friend much sooner than their humans are ready.

My P@H give a neuter coupon from what i can gather, but i have never adopted a rabbit through them, i read it on my hamster adoption forms. I think it varies, remember a lot of rescues rehome internationally and bunny runs can be arranged :D

Thinking of you as you grieve for Mrs Hudson xx

Back