• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So upset, our vet wants to put Herman to sleep UD so happy p118

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
:cry::cry::cry:

I didn't think the news today would be great but wasn't expecting to need to make a decision today:( I knew he had lost a bit of weight despite eating 4 meals a day, his poos are tiny and his roots are worse. He humps Dave non stop now which we have always thought was a pain reaction, and it has got to the point where we have to pull him off to give him food! And then yesterday I gave him a cuddle and discovered the base of his ear was really painful for him.

He has lost 400g in a few weeks, his last dental was a month ago yet he has spurs everywhere in his mouth some cutting into his tongue, and nothing appeared wrong with his ear so we think it is nerve pain relating to his roots. Even if he does have something deep in his ear like an abscess or tumour it wouldn't change how we viewed the overall situation:(

I had to make a decision on the spot that I wasn't expecting to make just yet, so rightly or wrongly i opted for one last try. He is having blood tests first to see how his liver is functioning (as he has liver cancer) if it is bad then we will let him go. If its no worse then we are going to go for another dental to see if we can make him more comfortable. We have agreed on a week from the dental to see an improvement and have already made an appointment for next Tuesday so if necessary I can't back out from making this decision again :(

I don't know if I have done the right thing for him or not. Yes he has a lot of problems and he is a very old bunny but you wouldn't know it to look at him. He is so lively and has always been my manic comedy bun :love::love: In between the humping he is naughty and runs up and down the stairs as well as doing happy flops :)

I know we wont win this and the thought of it makes me feel physically ill, but I had to give him one last shot at making him comfortable for a little longer. He has been such a brave bunny these past 18 months bouncing back from everything thrown at him so I just couldn't let him go today not without trying just once more

So now I am waiting for the phone to ring with his pre-surgery blood results :? :(

Last edited:
Such a sad situation, I really feel for you. You know your bunny best though so I'm confident you're doing the best thing by giving him one last chance.

Lots of vibes for Herman x

What a horrible position to be in, I really feel for you. I faced this a number of years ago, with my beloved, savage-to-anyone-but-me 76 year old Amazon Parrot.
Like you, i was stunned, shell-shocked, and chose to have one last run of tests done. Deep in my heart though, I kind of knew...
A couple of nights later, my beloved old girl Cinders would not settle at all in her specially adapted 'needs-cage'. usually, at bedtime, in she went, and off to the land of dreams she went. But not this night.
She cried for me, couldn't, wouldn't settle. I lifted her out and held her against my chest, and she opend her useless old wings across my chest, rested her head into my neck and happily settled down to a nice, restful sleep. I sat up the night through holding her like that. Come morning, I knew what I had to do. I took her back to the vets, and even before they gave me the results (all very, very poor and negative) I told them it was her time. I knew. I had, as i said, deep down inside known already. But needed that little bit of 'acceptance time' I think.
Try, if you can in your heart-ache, to see what bun is telling you my dear. It is so hard to take your own emotions out of the equasion I know. However, when i did just that, and 'listened' to my beloved 76 year old parrot, the decision was so much easier. My heart still broke, but I felt at peace with letting her go if that makes sense.
She passed peacefully in my arms at the vets, after managing to squeeze in one last 'Cinders Special'... A snap, snarl, and angry award winning gurn at the vet :)
She passed as she lived, joyously terrorising a mere, lowly human. I was SOOOOO proud of that!

I dont know if my story will help, I hope it does, as the circumstances are not too dissimilar.
I do feel for you.
Blessings.
xxx

Thank you for the replies, they are appreciated.

I called in the vets for an update a little under an hour ago. I had heard nothing so thought it must be good news and the dental had gone ahead without calling me but unfortunately they have had emergencies and are way behind so i am still waiting for Hermans blood results :(

I'm so sorry Liz. You have lots of experience and your instincts are always spot on so don't second guess yourself. You'll make the right decision when you need too. Thinking of you and Herman. xx

Im so very sorry...this made me cry....Herman and the story of Cinders xxxx thinking of you xxx

I'm really sorry to hear this. :(

It reminds me a bit of a guinea pig I had, where the vet recommended PTS, but I felt I had to give some extra pain relief one last try. I knew there was no hope of a cure etc, just didn't want to feel like I had made the decision too early.

As it happened, I had her PTS a couple of days later. But, I do think you know your pet best, and also have to be very clear in your own mind when making that final decision.

Thinking of you. x

Thank you for all your messages :love:

The good news is that Herman's bloods were no worse than before so we went ahead with the dental and again his teeth were no worse than before. So thats really positive for today but it does mean there is nothing we can find to explain the new weight loss and pain so therefore nothing we can do differently to treat it :?

We have just collected him and he is home and is eating hay already :) He now has a few days to prove to us that his quality of life is where it needs to be for him. Even if he does improve over the next few days he will be due another dental in a few weeks and we will be back in the same position again. But for now I am just grateful that Herman our comedy bun is home safely and we can spoil him even more ( if that is humanly possible!!) over the next few days or hopefully weeks.

Thanks again xx

Oh Liz Herman is one of my favourite Rainbow bunnies, I've followed his story since day 1. I remember his cute little face with his horrible teeth poking out. I really hope he perks up soon. Do you think he may have been too preoccupied with humping too eat, or maybe burning off his food by humping.

I think you need to put a little Herman picture up now she we can vibe him along :D

Oh Liz Herman is one of my favourite Rainbow bunnies, I've followed his story since day 1. I remember his cute little face with his horrible teeth poking out. I really hope he perks up soon. Do you think he may have been too preoccupied with humping too eat, or maybe burning off his food by humping.

I think you need to put a little Herman picture up now she we can vibe him along :D

I think the humping may well be burning too many calories, but the humping is wrong and must be a symptom of something in itself :?

he is asleep on some vetbed behind the chair under the radiator at the moment so no new pics of him today but here is the most recent one of him and his beloved Dave :love:

P1020220.jpg

and one of my favourites :love:

P8120409.jpg

Adding some healing vibes for Herman and hugs for you. ((((((((((vibes and hugs)))))))))

Yes, please, may we see a picture if it's not too much trouble? I agree it does give one a focus for healing energies. :)

Back